Anti aliasing

acepro71

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
ok i have bought a 2o inch 1600x900 monitor accidentally and i cannot return it :sweat: =
i watch movies mostly at 720 / 360 p

and economy is taking a sh!t on me i can not buy a new monitor for like 3 or 4 more years
as i just bought this one and a new pc

so which anti aliasing mode should i use in pc games ?
which one is best for me ?
i am using AMD Radeon™ HD 7870 GHz Edition gpu in my pc

and my pc still plays 1080 p movies so is their a huge difference
did i really made a huge mistake by getting this monitor :cry: ?

:hello: please help me !

Solution
MSAA - removes jaggies around objects, requires help from game
FXAA - removes jaggies from everything, textures included and does not need help from game.

FXAA creates "blurring" because that is what AA does, it blurs jagged edges, and since FXAA fixes jagged edges on the whole image, and not just the edges of defined objects, you get a little blurring.

SSAA is the highest end form of AA, which like FXAA fixes all jaggies, including in textures, but does a much better job, and requires help from the game. It also is the biggest performance killer of them all. Nvidia and AMD have ways to compromise.
SSAA on transparencies for Nvidia, and adaptive MSAA for AMD, but they don't always work.

I wouldn't use higher than 4x on any form of...
Not really needed at your resolution since a 7850 is fast enough to probably max out everything. FXAA is essentially free AA, its in-between 2x and 4x in terms of its ability to get rid of jaggies but it makes the image slightly blurry.

MSAA - removes jaggies around objects, requires help from game
FXAA - removes jaggies from everything, textures included and does not need help from game.

FXAA creates "blurring" because that is what AA does, it blurs jagged edges, and since FXAA fixes jagged edges on the whole image, and not just the edges of defined objects, you get a little blurring.

SSAA is the highest end form of AA, which like FXAA fixes all jaggies, including in textures, but does a much better job, and requires help from the game. It also is the biggest performance killer of them all. Nvidia and AMD have ways to compromise.
SSAA on transparencies for Nvidia, and adaptive MSAA for AMD, but they don't always work.

I wouldn't use higher than 4x on any form of AA. Diminishing returns kicks in after 4x AA levels.

Solution
@acepro71
AA is a very wide topic, you'll have to read this article then It's coverage to understand each technique and it's own effect. there's no real word that AMD cards support FXAA, but it has it's similar version which is MLAA, however it works perfectly on some games and causing artifacts in some other games, but recently it has been improved too much and I no longer see artifacts.

MSAA is most used version of AA almost in all games, 4x offers the best tradeoff between quality and performance, 2x MSAA hurts image quality without boosting performance much.