Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

7870 vs >?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 10, 2013 4:02:10 PM

ok i am looking for an nvidia gpu which is similarly priced and is good as 7870

More about : 7870

a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 10, 2013 4:03:05 PM

One that is similarly priced doesn't really exist. Why Nvidia?
March 10, 2013 4:16:51 PM

ok a little higher or less in money
does gtx 660 or gtx 660ti really own 7870 ?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 10, 2013 4:20:12 PM

A 660 is much slower, a 660ti and 7870 are pretty much on par at stock clocks, but a 7870 overclocks to be way, way faster. A 7870 LE is even faster.
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 10, 2013 4:23:58 PM

for this generation Nvidia is overpriced compared to AMD. if you must go with Nvidia, get a 660ti

oh, and be aware that Nvidia's experiencing some issues with the new tomb raider game (which I just finished last night :whistle:  )
a c 86 U Graphics card
March 10, 2013 5:38:07 PM

The closest for Nvidia would be either a GTX 660 or a discounted GTX 660 Ti. They're not too far off in price and performance from the Radeon 7870, so if you must go Nvidia, they're good options.

However, neither of them best the 7870. The 660 is closer to the 7850 and the 660 Ti is, as cookybiscuit said, about on par with the 7870 while the 7870 LE/XT is somewhat faster at between the 660 Ti and the 670 around the 7950 800MHz (that's the non-boost version of the 7950).
March 10, 2013 6:21:19 PM

vmem said:
for this generation Nvidia is overpriced compared to AMD. if you must go with Nvidia, get a 660ti

oh, and be aware that Nvidia's experiencing some issues with the new tomb raider game (which I just finished last night :whistle:  )


i am on 28 % of the game got it today :p 
March 10, 2013 6:24:13 PM

which is the best card which is compared to AMD Radeon™ HD 7870 GHz Edition

i don't care about price
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 10, 2013 6:29:37 PM

acepro71 said:
which is the best card which is compared to AMD Radeon™ HD 7870 GHz Edition

i don't care about price


a nice 660ti is the most comparable card from Nvidia. the 7870 has a bit more overclocking potential, but overall I would say they're about even.

As a side note, since you did get Tomb Raider, did you actually experience the reported issues with TessFX? I'm interested in knowing because it'll probably shift my gaming oriented preference strongly toward AMD if the issues are very noticeable.
March 10, 2013 8:21:46 PM

IF you DON'T care about price get a 670 and stop fussing over it. We still don't know why you are hesitant on AMD and just get the 7870 if performance closeness is paramount?
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 10, 2013 8:31:38 PM

MotherFerJones said:
IF you DON'T care about price get a 670 and stop fussing over it. We still don't know why you are hesitant on AMD and just get the 7870 if performance closeness is paramount?


cut him some slack, it takes a while to wrap one's head around the fact that there isn't an Nvidia equivalent to 7870 if you consider price XD
March 10, 2013 9:18:12 PM

I apologize, i read my post i does seem a bit harsh, but i mean if your looking for a similar performer to a 7870 without telling us why you dont want the 7870 then the whole conversation becomes moot in my opinion.

EDIT: I have the gigabyte windforce 7950, which i am extremely happy with, you could easily OC a 7870 to reach 7950 stock status, just saying.
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 10, 2013 10:56:36 PM

acepro71 said:
ok i am looking for an nvidia gpu which is similarly priced and is good as 7870

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=660
gtx660 and 7870 trade blows depending on game. don't let people who obviously havn't read a benchmark tell you that one blows the other away, they are pretty much on par overall.
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 10, 2013 11:06:57 PM

oh here you are again. ok OP, pay the extra bucks for Nvidia, I'm outta here :) 
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2013 11:13:08 PM

Treat your self with a GTX660 Its Green :) 
a c 86 U Graphics card
March 10, 2013 11:14:05 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=660
gtx660 and 7870 trade blows depending on game. don't let people who obviously havn't read a benchmark tell you that one blows the other away, they are pretty much on par overall.


That tool uses way outdated drivers and is thus well-known for being nearly useless. AMD's 7870 has caught the 660 Ti with current drivers and the similarly priced 7870 LE/XT is even faster at between the 660 Ti and the 670 on average. OP, don't let people who don't understand benchmarks lecture you about people who haven't seen benchmarks.

This isn't to say that either the 660 or the 660 Ti are bad cards. I've recommended them both to multiple people on occasion and I'd do so again if I felt they were ideal for a given situation. OP, if you want comparable performance to the 7870, then the 660 Ti is your best bet. The 660 is considerably slower at between the 7850 and the 7870. That's not a huge drop, so if you want to spend less than a 660 Ti's price, the 660 is a good option, just keep it in mind when makign your decision.

Point is choose between the 660 and the 660 Ti if you want comparable performance to the 7870, which one you choose epending on deals and how much you want to spend to get a little more performance.
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 11, 2013 12:04:04 AM

vmem said:
oh here you are again. ok OP, pay the extra bucks for Nvidia, I'm outta here :) 

lol, and here you are again posting opinions instead of facts. and fyi the 660 is the same price or cheaper than 7870 where I live. Yeah, go outta here, good idea, run away if someone doesn't agree with you, you are always right.

"That tool uses way outdated drivers and is thus well-known for being nearly useless. AMD's 7870 has caught the 660 Ti with current drivers and the similarly priced 7870 LE/XT is even faster at between the 660 Ti and the 670 on average. OP, don't let people who don't understand benchmarks lecture you about people who haven't seen benchmarks."

And Nvidia hasn't released any new drivers to increase performance? they just sat stagnant while amd drivers were improved? far out you AMD fanboys are crazy. Ok lets find a bench with new current drivers just for fun:

you got me, the 7870 wins by a whole 1fps vs 660, but it certainly hasn't cought the 660ti.

Look Im not a fan of either Nvidia or AMD, i've owned multiple cards from both, just don't like people spreading bull **** about either without some facts. So please, if you want to try to help the OP chose a product based on your input, please provide relevant proof for your argument, not just your opinion. If you can prove that AMD has made the drivers for 7870 thump a gtx660 in every game then please post that proof, and I will accept that maybe amd has improved their drivers, I can live with that, and the op may be better off getting the 7870 if its the same price as the 660. But for now as far as I can tell from a collective of benchmarks that I can find from multiple sites with various drivers, they are about on par overall in raw fraps measured performance. you must then look at a cards power consumption, features and price to weigh up which card is best, since they are more or less on par performance wise.
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 11, 2013 12:14:10 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
lol, and here you are again posting opinions instead of facts. and fyi the 660 is the same price or cheaper than 7870 where I live. Yeah, go outta here, good idea, run away if someone doesn't agree with you, you are always right.


Look, I have no problems with you or Nvidia and we've been over similar points over and over again. I DO recall linking you to benchmarks on previous threads. and I also recall saying you have some points but miss in a few other places. do whatever you want, you're the only person here at TH who thinks he's always right lol.

Case and point, just look at your contradictory remarks above and how hard you're trying... :pfff: 
a c 86 U Graphics card
March 11, 2013 12:25:54 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
lol, and here you are again posting opinions instead of facts. and fyi the 660 is the same price or cheaper than 7870 where I live. Yeah, go outta here, good idea, run away if someone doesn't agree with you, you are always right.

"That tool uses way outdated drivers and is thus well-known for being nearly useless. AMD's 7870 has caught the 660 Ti with current drivers and the similarly priced 7870 LE/XT is even faster at between the 660 Ti and the 670 on average. OP, don't let people who don't understand benchmarks lecture you about people who haven't seen benchmarks."

And Nvidia hasn't released any new drivers to increase performance? they just sat stagnant while amd drivers were improved? far out you AMD fanboys are crazy. Ok lets find a bench with new current drivers just for fun:
http://media.bestofmicro.com/A/D/374917/original/1920-Med-A.png
you got me, the 7870 wins by a whole 1fps vs 660, but it certainly hasn't cought the 660ti.

Look Im not a fan of either Nvidia or AMD, i've owned multiple cards from both, just don't like people spreading bull **** about either without some facts. So please, if you want to try to help the OP chose a product based on your input, please provide relevant proof for your argument, not just your opinion. If you can prove that AMD has made the drivers for 7870 thump a gtx660 in every game then please post that proof, and I will accept that maybe amd has improved their drivers, I can live with that, and the op may be better off getting the 7870 if its the same price as the 660. But for now as far as I can tell from a collective of benchmarks that I can find from multiple sites with various drivers, they are about on par overall in raw fraps measured performance. you must then look at a cards power consumption, features and price to weigh up which card is best, since they are more or less on par performance wise.


Using current drivers for both AMD and Nvidia, AMD improved more than Nvidia, hence they managed to oneup Nvidia. For example, the Radeon 7970 started off weaker than the 670, yet it's now considered on-par with or even better than the 680 overall by most. So, please take your BS accusations out the door. All that I've said is easily proven fact backed up by the very site that we're discussing this on.

Using only one benchmark doesn't prove anything right about what you said. What I said was a general average across all gaming situations tested by Tom's, not a single or even just a handful of gaming situations. I see no point in me even linking benchmarks since they're all available here at Tom's.

I've had dozens of cards from both AMD and Nvidia over the years and I'm not biased towards either company when it comes to what I recommend to others nor even what I use myself. For example, my last Nvidia card in one of my main system was a GTX 560 Ti and I replaced it with a Radeon 7850 after my GTX 560 Ti had a hardware failure.

Also, like I said earlier, the 660 is not that far from the 7870. It's right between the 7850 and the 7870 with current dirvers. AMD's more significantly improved drivers is what caused Tom's to bring the 660 down from the 7870's tier to the 7850's tier in their most recent Best Gaming Graphics cards hierarchy charts, among other changes such as raising the 7770 and some other GCN GPU-based cards one or two tiers.
March 11, 2013 11:20:12 AM

vmem said:
acepro71 said:
which is the best card which is compared to AMD Radeon™ HD 7870 GHz Edition

i don't care about price


a nice 660ti is the most comparable card from Nvidia. the 7870 has a bit more overclocking potential, but overall I would say they're about even.

As a side note, since you did get Tomb Raider, did you actually experience the reported issues with TessFX? I'm interested in knowing because it'll probably shift my gaming oriented preference strongly toward AMD if the issues are very noticeable.




anyways i am using a 7870 right now

but i am gonna try the game again on nvidia card as there is a tombraider update which claims to fix the problem

Tomb Raider v1.0.718.4 Update
Fixes include:

- Addressed some stability and startup issues on machines that have both Intel and NVIDIA graphics hardware

but yes many people are having problem with the treefx on nvidia
March 11, 2013 11:22:56 AM

MotherFerJones said:
I apologize, i read my post i does seem a bit harsh, but i mean if your looking for a similar performer to a 7870 without telling us why you dont want the 7870 then the whole conversation becomes moot in my opinion.

EDIT: I have the gigabyte windforce 7950, which i am extremely happy with, you could easily OC a 7870 to reach 7950 stock status, just saying.

i am looking for a nvidia card as my friend is a fanboy of nvidia he does not want to buy an amd card

+ he is looking for a similar nvidia card as 7870
a c 537 U Graphics card
a c 332 Î Nvidia
March 11, 2013 11:40:52 AM

acepro71 said:
ok i am looking for an nvidia gpu which is similarly priced and is good as 7870

Performancewise, the 7870 sits right between the GTX 660 and the GTX 660 Ti, so close that they really are even depending on the game. The cheapest 7870 on Newegg right now is $215, but the majority are $230 and above. The cheapest GTX 660 is $210, with many around $215-$220. You would have to go up to $280 for a good GTX 660 Ti. Overclock a GTX 660 and you won't know the difference in performance from the more expensive card.

You really have your pick of some great GTX 660's for $220 or less, with factory overclocked/custom cooled models, including: Gigabyte Windforce, MSI PE, MSI TF2 OC, Asus DirectCUII OC, Galaxy GC OC, etc. I'd go for the Asus DirectCUII OC and go home happy.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 80 Î Nvidia
March 11, 2013 11:45:38 AM

Having used a lot of both brands, there are reasons to choose Nvidia or AMD. Generally speaking, if you want a hassle free experience, and less microstutter without fussing with drivers and FPS limiters for every game, Nvidia is generally the way to go. AMD will give you high FPS for their cost. This goes double for Crossfire vs SLI.

As tech enthusiasts, you'll find people that don't mind the extra hassle, they might consider it fun.
a c 86 U Graphics card
March 11, 2013 7:05:01 PM

bystander said:
Having used a lot of both brands, there are reasons to choose Nvidia or AMD. Generally speaking, if you want a hassle free experience, and less microstutter without fussing with drivers and FPS limiters for every game, Nvidia is generally the way to go. AMD will give you high FPS for their cost. This goes double for Crossfire vs SLI.

As tech enthusiasts, you'll find people that don't mind the extra hassle, they might consider it fun.


You don't need to fuss with drivers nor FPS limiters to solve any micro-stutter issues with AMD cards. It's as easy as setting up a RadeonPro profile and you're good to go. You can't fix micro-stutter issues at all with Nvidia, so I fail to see how this can be held against AMD.

Nvidia is no closer to hassle-free than AMD. They have issues just as often and just as severe. They often have a better head-start than AMD, but things even out within six months or so after each generation is launched.

There are reasons to choose AMD over Nvidia or Nvidia over AMD, but none of what you said is in any of those reasons. Real reasons for Nvidia over AMD could include wanting GPU-accelerated PhsyX without needing an additional card for it, wanting adaptive V-Sync, and more. Real reasons for AMD could include wanting great performance with TressFX and/or other Direct compute or OpenCL accelerated features, a more supported multi-GPU technology from a hardware perspective (SLI requires hardware support in the motherboard and almost always requires two of the same type of card whereas Crossfire is supported by pretty much all modern boards and can work between a greater variety of cards), and more.
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 11, 2013 7:37:30 PM

acepro71 said:
vmem said:
acepro71 said:
which is the best card which is compared to AMD Radeon™ HD 7870 GHz Edition

i don't care about price


a nice 660ti is the most comparable card from Nvidia. the 7870 has a bit more overclocking potential, but overall I would say they're about even.

As a side note, since you did get Tomb Raider, did you actually experience the reported issues with TessFX? I'm interested in knowing because it'll probably shift my gaming oriented preference strongly toward AMD if the issues are very noticeable.




anyways i am using a 7870 right now

but i am gonna try the game again on nvidia card as there is a tombraider update which claims to fix the problem

Tomb Raider v1.0.718.4 Update
Fixes include:

- Addressed some stability and startup issues on machines that have both Intel and NVIDIA graphics hardware

but yes many people are having problem with the treefx on nvidia


The update will improve the issue, but never fix it. to fix the issue you'll either have to get a Titan, a 580, or wait for the 700 series. this is explained in AMD's blog article about TressFX:
http://blogs.amd.com/play/tressfx/

the thing to note is: "TressFX Hair revolutionizes Lara Croft’s locks by using the DirectCompute programming language". now I'm not trying to be an AMD fanboy, but we all know Nvidia's GTX600 generation have their direct compute ability effectively neutered, so no TressFX for this gen of Nvidia cards. I must say that AMD have cleverly exploited Kepler's weakness to show off their strengths on this one, and it'll be interesting to see how Nvidia will respond in the long run

Best solution

a c 91 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 11, 2013 7:41:22 PM
Share

blazorthon said:
10482910,0,314633 said:

There are reasons to choose AMD over Nvidia or Nvidia over AMD, but none of what you said is in any of those reasons. Real reasons for Nvidia over AMD could include wanting GPU-accelerated PhsyX without needing an additional card for it, wanting adaptive V-Sync, and more. Real reasons for AMD could include wanting great performance with TressFX and/or other Direct compute or OpenCL accelerated features, a more supported multi-GPU technology from a hardware perspective (SLI requires hardware support in the motherboard and almost always requires two of the same type of card whereas Crossfire is supported by pretty much all modern boards and can work between a greater variety of cards), and more.
said:


Personally, I consider the two companies equal gaming wise, and I choose Nvidia for CUDA/direct compute based applications and 3D vision. I like AMD for their superior multi-monitor support on workstations. I would've gone Nvidia again this generation had they not decide to kill their Direct Compute to push Quadro-cards
a c 86 U Graphics card
March 11, 2013 7:49:01 PM

I consider them fairly equal for gaming too, but choosing Nvidia for Direct compute is a mistake right now. AMD has a huge advantage in Direct Compute with their 79xx cards versus the comparable GTX 600 cards.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 80 Î Nvidia
March 11, 2013 7:52:45 PM

blazorthon said:
bystander said:
Having used a lot of both brands, there are reasons to choose Nvidia or AMD. Generally speaking, if you want a hassle free experience, and less microstutter without fussing with drivers and FPS limiters for every game, Nvidia is generally the way to go. AMD will give you high FPS for their cost. This goes double for Crossfire vs SLI.

As tech enthusiasts, you'll find people that don't mind the extra hassle, they might consider it fun.


You don't need to fuss with drivers nor FPS limiters to solve any micro-stutter issues with AMD cards. It's as easy as setting up a RadeonPro profile and you're good to go. You can't fix micro-stutter issues at all with Nvidia, so I fail to see how this can be held against AMD.

Nvidia is no closer to hassle-free than AMD. They have issues just as often and just as severe. They often have a better head-start than AMD, but things even out within six months or so after each generation is launched.

There are reasons to choose AMD over Nvidia or Nvidia over AMD, but none of what you said is in any of those reasons. Real reasons for Nvidia over AMD could include wanting GPU-accelerated PhsyX without needing an additional card for it, wanting adaptive V-Sync, and more. Real reasons for AMD could include wanting great performance with TressFX and/or other Direct compute or OpenCL accelerated features, a more supported multi-GPU technology from a hardware perspective (SLI requires hardware support in the motherboard and almost always requires two of the same type of card whereas Crossfire is supported by pretty much all modern boards and can work between a greater variety of cards), and more.


I consider having to make a custom profile for every game having to fuss around with it. And if you choose the FPS limiter option, you lose your advantage. Nvidia just has a lot less microstutter issues from the get go, not that they were perfect, but good enough.

The main reason I do have Nvidia cards atm was 3D Vision, but it has just been a lot easier than my 6950's were.
a c 86 U Graphics card
March 11, 2013 7:59:40 PM

Nvidia doesn't have less micro-stutter issues, most certainly not a lot less. Both companies don't have much micro-stutter issues, at least not with their current high-end cards. For when they are there, they can be fixed on AMD. They aren't less common on Nvidia (although, again, they're still not common) and the difference there is that when they do occur with Nvidia, you can't fix them.

3D Vision is a valid point to argue on. It is superior to AMD's 3D technology.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 80 Î Nvidia
March 11, 2013 9:26:04 PM

blazorthon said:
Nvidia doesn't have less micro-stutter issues, most certainly not a lot less. Both companies don't have much micro-stutter issues, at least not with their current high-end cards. For when they are there, they can be fixed on AMD. They aren't less common on Nvidia (although, again, they're still not common) and the difference there is that when they do occur with Nvidia, you can't fix them.

3D Vision is a valid point to argue on. It is superior to AMD's 3D technology.


That may depend on if you crossfire or not, and if you use RadeonPro or not:
http://techreport.com/blog/24415/a
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-GeFo...
a c 86 U Graphics card
March 11, 2013 10:37:46 PM

By definition, micro-stutter can only occur when there are multiple GPUs being used together, so for AMD, you can't have micro-stutter unless you're in Crossfire/CFX.

SLI has its own problems and the supposed issues with Crossfire are generally overstated and tend to not occur in most situations either.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 80 Î Nvidia
March 11, 2013 10:52:44 PM

blazorthon said:
By definition, micro-stutter can only occur when there are multiple GPUs being used together, so for AMD, you can't have micro-stutter unless you're in Crossfire/CFX.

SLI has its own problems and the supposed issues with Crossfire are generally overstated and tend to not occur in most situations either.

That was why I said, "depending on if you crossfire or not". Even then, even if you don't call it micro-stutter in single card configurations, there is hitching/stuttering that happens.
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLcq6IQz-sM&feature=play...
That is what lead to some driver fixes in AMD most recent beta drivers.

Those are just some of the issues I had. Not to mention only being able to use a few drivers, because while new a driver might fix some issues, they often broke other things. That may have improved over the last year, but it was a bit annoying when I was using 6950's.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 11, 2013 10:55:18 PM

blazorthon said:
By definition, micro-stutter can only occur when there are multiple GPUs being used together, so for AMD, you can't have micro-stutter unless you're in Crossfire/CFX.

SLI has its own problems and the supposed issues with Crossfire are generally overstated and tend to not occur in most situations either.

Microstutter is just a delay in frames, its not like its instantaneous when theres only one GPU, take Skyrim for example, that has appalling stutter on AMD systems, experienced it first hand with a 7950.
a c 86 U Graphics card
March 11, 2013 11:03:31 PM

Any stuttering with a single GPU is not micro-stuttering, but a different type of stuttering. You can't get micro-stutter with a single GPU because micro-stutter is caused by the GPUs being out of sync in their frame delivery. So, no, micro-stutter is not just a delay in the frames being delivered. In fact, it has pretty much nothing to do with delays at all.

Nvidia has had the same issues, again, granted they had a better head-start in fixing them.

Your video example has both cards having issues.

Yes, AMD has been working on fixing issues. So has Nvidia.

Issues with Radeon 6950 cards are almost completely irrelevant in a discussion with very different cards such as the Radeon 7000 cards. Mentioning them in the context of a Radeon 7000 versus GTX 600 discussion is like me mentioning Nvidia's power consumption disadvantage from Fermi compared to VLIW5 and VLIW4 despite Nvidia no longer having a power consumption disadvantage.

Skyrim has had a lot of problems with all companies due to poor coding. It's been mostly fixed by now, but regardless, that's not good reason to blame AMD. I had similar issues with Nvidia cards including a few Kepler based cards and a few Fermi based cards when I tested them in their systems before they were sold to my clients and even if I hadn't. If we were to talk about single GPU stutter, then we should use better examples.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 80 Î Nvidia
March 12, 2013 7:24:52 AM

blazorthon said:
Any stuttering with a single GPU is not micro-stuttering, but a different type of stuttering. You can't get micro-stutter with a single GPU because micro-stutter is caused by the GPUs being out of sync in their frame delivery. So, no, micro-stutter is not just a delay in the frames being delivered. In fact, it has pretty much nothing to do with delays at all.

Nvidia has had the same issues, again, granted they had a better head-start in fixing them.

Your video example has both cards having issues.

Yes, AMD has been working on fixing issues. So has Nvidia.

Issues with Radeon 6950 cards are almost completely irrelevant in a discussion with very different cards such as the Radeon 7000 cards. Mentioning them in the context of a Radeon 7000 versus GTX 600 discussion is like me mentioning Nvidia's power consumption disadvantage from Fermi compared to VLIW5 and VLIW4 despite Nvidia no longer having a power consumption disadvantage.

Skyrim has had a lot of problems with all companies due to poor coding. It's been mostly fixed by now, but regardless, that's not good reason to blame AMD. I had similar issues with Nvidia cards including a few Kepler based cards and a few Fermi based cards when I tested them in their systems before they were sold to my clients and even if I hadn't. If we were to talk about single GPU stutter, then we should use better examples.


I'm not saying Nvidia is perfect, but they are well ahead of AMD on these issues. That is why have said that Nvidia requires much less fussing with drivers, FPS limiters and other tools.

Nvidia has also worked well with Skyrim from the start. From the beginning reviewers have noted how much smoother Nvidia has been with Skyrim.
March 21, 2013 6:04:04 PM

I noticed many of those charts and links only included the base 7870. If we're talking about the 7870 LE, is this even a question? As far as I know, that card can perform on par with or better than most $300-$320 options; including the GTX 660Ti and the HD7950. Some benchmarks even have it passing the GTX 670.

I owned several GTX 4xx models, and the GTX 570. I recently bought the 7870 LE for $220 because, price for performance, I don't think there's anything out there to match it. I did a trial run on the GTX 660Ti and 670, the 7950, and the 7870 LE. On 1080p, everything turned up, the 7870 LE gave me just as smooth a gaming as the other options, only I saved a ton of money.

If you're looking to save, get the 7870 LE. I have no bias to either company. They stagger their releases, so one is always ahead of the other for a time. Currently, AMD is just flat-out winning the price/performance race. That may change when Nvidia launches their post-Titan lineup, and I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Every so often a gem comes along. The GTX 460 was one of them. Right now, the 7870 LE is pretty tough to argue against, unless money isn't an issue. If that's the case, jump up to a 670 or 7970.
!