7870 vs >?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
for this generation Nvidia is overpriced compared to AMD. if you must go with Nvidia, get a 660ti

oh, and be aware that Nvidia's experiencing some issues with the new tomb raider game (which I just finished last night :whistle: )

The closest for Nvidia would be either a GTX 660 or a discounted GTX 660 Ti. They're not too far off in price and performance from the Radeon 7870, so if you must go Nvidia, they're good options.

However, neither of them best the 7870. The 660 is closer to the 7850 and the 660 Ti is, as cookybiscuit said, about on par with the 7870 while the 7870 LE/XT is somewhat faster at between the 660 Ti and the 670 around the 7950 800MHz (that's the non-boost version of the 7950).

acepro71

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

i am on 28 % of the game got it today :p

a nice 660ti is the most comparable card from Nvidia. the 7870 has a bit more overclocking potential, but overall I would say they're about even.

As a side note, since you did get Tomb Raider, did you actually experience the reported issues with TessFX? I'm interested in knowing because it'll probably shift my gaming oriented preference strongly toward AMD if the issues are very noticeable.

cut him some slack, it takes a while to wrap one's head around the fact that there isn't an Nvidia equivalent to 7870 if you consider price XD

MotherFerJones

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
I apologize, i read my post i does seem a bit harsh, but i mean if your looking for a similar performer to a 7870 without telling us why you dont want the 7870 then the whole conversation becomes moot in my opinion.

EDIT: I have the gigabyte windforce 7950, which i am extremely happy with, you could easily OC a 7870 to reach 7950 stock status, just saying.

That tool uses way outdated drivers and is thus well-known for being nearly useless. AMD's 7870 has caught the 660 Ti with current drivers and the similarly priced 7870 LE/XT is even faster at between the 660 Ti and the 670 on average. OP, don't let people who don't understand benchmarks lecture you about people who haven't seen benchmarks.

This isn't to say that either the 660 or the 660 Ti are bad cards. I've recommended them both to multiple people on occasion and I'd do so again if I felt they were ideal for a given situation. OP, if you want comparable performance to the 7870, then the 660 Ti is your best bet. The 660 is considerably slower at between the 7850 and the 7870. That's not a huge drop, so if you want to spend less than a 660 Ti's price, the 660 is a good option, just keep it in mind when makign your decision.

Point is choose between the 660 and the 660 Ti if you want comparable performance to the 7870, which one you choose epending on deals and how much you want to spend to get a little more performance.

lol, and here you are again posting opinions instead of facts. and fyi the 660 is the same price or cheaper than 7870 where I live. Yeah, go outta here, good idea, run away if someone doesn't agree with you, you are always right.

"That tool uses way outdated drivers and is thus well-known for being nearly useless. AMD's 7870 has caught the 660 Ti with current drivers and the similarly priced 7870 LE/XT is even faster at between the 660 Ti and the 670 on average. OP, don't let people who don't understand benchmarks lecture you about people who haven't seen benchmarks."

And Nvidia hasn't released any new drivers to increase performance? they just sat stagnant while amd drivers were improved? far out you AMD fanboys are crazy. Ok lets find a bench with new current drivers just for fun:
1920-Med-A.png

you got me, the 7870 wins by a whole 1fps vs 660, but it certainly hasn't cought the 660ti.

Look Im not a fan of either Nvidia or AMD, i've owned multiple cards from both, just don't like people spreading bull **** about either without some facts. So please, if you want to try to help the OP chose a product based on your input, please provide relevant proof for your argument, not just your opinion. If you can prove that AMD has made the drivers for 7870 thump a gtx660 in every game then please post that proof, and I will accept that maybe amd has improved their drivers, I can live with that, and the op may be better off getting the 7870 if its the same price as the 660. But for now as far as I can tell from a collective of benchmarks that I can find from multiple sites with various drivers, they are about on par overall in raw fraps measured performance. you must then look at a cards power consumption, features and price to weigh up which card is best, since they are more or less on par performance wise.

Look, I have no problems with you or Nvidia and we've been over similar points over and over again. I DO recall linking you to benchmarks on previous threads. and I also recall saying you have some points but miss in a few other places. do whatever you want, you're the only person here at TH who thinks he's always right lol.

Case and point, just look at your contradictory remarks above and how hard you're trying... :pfff:

Using current drivers for both AMD and Nvidia, AMD improved more than Nvidia, hence they managed to oneup Nvidia. For example, the Radeon 7970 started off weaker than the 670, yet it's now considered on-par with or even better than the 680 overall by most. So, please take your BS accusations out the door. All that I've said is easily proven fact backed up by the very site that we're discussing this on.

Using only one benchmark doesn't prove anything right about what you said. What I said was a general average across all gaming situations tested by Tom's, not a single or even just a handful of gaming situations. I see no point in me even linking benchmarks since they're all available here at Tom's.

I've had dozens of cards from both AMD and Nvidia over the years and I'm not biased towards either company when it comes to what I recommend to others nor even what I use myself. For example, my last Nvidia card in one of my main system was a GTX 560 Ti and I replaced it with a Radeon 7850 after my GTX 560 Ti had a hardware failure.

Also, like I said earlier, the 660 is not that far from the 7870. It's right between the 7850 and the 7870 with current dirvers. AMD's more significantly improved drivers is what caused Tom's to bring the 660 down from the 7870's tier to the 7850's tier in their most recent Best Gaming Graphics cards hierarchy charts, among other changes such as raising the 7770 and some other GCN GPU-based cards one or two tiers.

acepro71

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

anyways i am using a 7870 right now

but i am gonna try the game again on nvidia card as there is a tombraider update which claims to fix the problem

Tomb Raider v1.0.718.4 Update
Fixes include:

- Addressed some stability and startup issues on machines that have both Intel and NVIDIA graphics hardware

but yes many people are having problem with the treefx on nvidia

acepro71

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

i am looking for a nvidia card as my friend is a fanboy of nvidia he does not want to buy an amd card

+ he is looking for a similar nvidia card as 7870

Performancewise, the 7870 sits right between the GTX 660 and the GTX 660 Ti, so close that they really are even depending on the game. The cheapest 7870 on Newegg right now is $215, but the majority are $230 and above. The cheapest GTX 660 is $210, with many around $215-$220. You would have to go up to $280 for a good GTX 660 Ti. Overclock a GTX 660 and you won't know the difference in performance from the more expensive card.

You really have your pick of some great GTX 660's for $220 or less, with factory overclocked/custom cooled models, including: Gigabyte Windforce, MSI PE, MSI TF2 OC, Asus DirectCUII OC, Galaxy GC OC, etc. I'd go for the Asus DirectCUII OC and go home happy.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121660

perfrel_1920.gif

Having used a lot of both brands, there are reasons to choose Nvidia or AMD. Generally speaking, if you want a hassle free experience, and less microstutter without fussing with drivers and FPS limiters for every game, Nvidia is generally the way to go. AMD will give you high FPS for their cost. This goes double for Crossfire vs SLI.

As tech enthusiasts, you'll find people that don't mind the extra hassle, they might consider it fun.

You don't need to fuss with drivers nor FPS limiters to solve any micro-stutter issues with AMD cards. It's as easy as setting up a RadeonPro profile and you're good to go. You can't fix micro-stutter issues at all with Nvidia, so I fail to see how this can be held against AMD.

Nvidia is no closer to hassle-free than AMD. They have issues just as often and just as severe. They often have a better head-start than AMD, but things even out within six months or so after each generation is launched.

There are reasons to choose AMD over Nvidia or Nvidia over AMD, but none of what you said is in any of those reasons. Real reasons for Nvidia over AMD could include wanting GPU-accelerated PhsyX without needing an additional card for it, wanting adaptive V-Sync, and more. Real reasons for AMD could include wanting great performance with TressFX and/or other Direct compute or OpenCL accelerated features, a more supported multi-GPU technology from a hardware perspective (SLI requires hardware support in the motherboard and almost always requires two of the same type of card whereas Crossfire is supported by pretty much all modern boards and can work between a greater variety of cards), and more.

The update will improve the issue, but never fix it. to fix the issue you'll either have to get a Titan, a 580, or wait for the 700 series. this is explained in AMD's blog article about TressFX:
http://blogs.amd.com/play/tressfx/

the thing to note is: "TressFX Hair revolutionizes Lara Croft’s locks by using the DirectCompute programming language". now I'm not trying to be an AMD fanboy, but we all know Nvidia's GTX600 generation have their direct compute ability effectively neutered, so no TressFX for this gen of Nvidia cards. I must say that AMD have cleverly exploited Kepler's weakness to show off their strengths on this one, and it'll be interesting to see how Nvidia will respond in the long run

Status
Not open for further replies.