Question about playing MIDI Files

Last response: in Home Audio
December 5, 2004 4:43:25 AM

Hello Everyone,

I have a reletively old SoundBlaster 16 PCI card in my computer and
I'd like to be able to hear actual instruments when I play MIDI files.
I've gone to the Creative website and looked for a driver update that
would allow this but can't find one. Can the SB16 just not play actual
instrument voices instead of the silly sounding wave sounds? Can
anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Charlene
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 9:11:17 PM

mzchar@gmail.com (MzChar) wrote in news:D 09a8b4.0412050143.3c6a8224
@posting.google.com:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have a reletively old SoundBlaster 16 PCI card in my computer and
> I'd like to be able to hear actual instruments when I play MIDI files.
> I've gone to the Creative website and looked for a driver update that
> would allow this but can't find one. Can the SB16 just not play actual
> instrument voices instead of the silly sounding wave sounds? Can
> anyone point me in the right direction?

You'll need a WaveTable Soundcard. The SB16 only does FM Synthesis (or as
you call it silly wave sounds).

You can try a SoundBlaster Awe, SoundBlaster Live, or the new SoundBlaster
Audigy/Audigy II.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
December 5, 2004 9:15:26 PM

Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in

> mzchar@gmail.com (MzChar) wrote in news:D 09a8b4.0412050143.3c6a8224
> @posting.google.com:
>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I have a reletively old SoundBlaster 16 PCI card in my computer and
>> I'd like to be able to hear actual instruments when I play MIDI
>> files. I've gone to the Creative website and looked for a driver
>> update that would allow this but can't find one. Can the SB16 just
>> not play actual instrument voices instead of the silly sounding wave
>> sounds? Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
> You'll need a WaveTable Soundcard. The SB16 only does FM Synthesis (or
> as you call it silly wave sounds).
>
> You can try a SoundBlaster Awe, SoundBlaster Live, or the new
> SoundBlaster Audigy/Audigy II.

Another thing you can try - You can use a software Midi driver. Windows
has a basic one (in XP at least):

Control Panel -> Sound and Audio Devices -> Audio -> Default Playback
Device -> Microsoft GS WaveTable Synthesis Device

There are better software midi drivers out there by Yamaha and Roland.
However, for the price of the software, you might as well buy a new
soundcard : )

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
December 7, 2004 2:13:19 AM

On 5 Dec 2004 01:43:25 -0800, mzchar@gmail.com (MzChar) wrote:

>I have a reletively old SoundBlaster 16 PCI card in my computer and
>I'd like to be able to hear actual instruments when I play MIDI files.
>I've gone to the Creative website and looked for a driver update that
>would allow this but can't find one. Can the SB16 just not play actual
>instrument voices instead of the silly sounding wave sounds? Can
>anyone point me in the right direction?

It's not a driver thing. Have you tried setting the Microsoft Synth
as midi output device? This software synth, part of Windows, is
really quite good.
!