My 52x cd rom reads at 7.95x!

rlayz733

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2002
I have an Giga-byte 7vtxh+ (latest updated bois) running Amd Athlon 1800+ ( Not overclocked) using 256x2 ddr ram (same company same speed) 60 gig (7200 rpm ata 133) nvidia geforce 4 mx 440(*all running latest drivers on windows xp also updated and ide controller updated also)

I used Nero cd speed test (From nero burning Latest version) using a 52x asus cd rom drive using separate ide controller. When i start the test it starts at 7.95 and stays around 16x , When transfering files from a cd i get 2.8 mb per second!

I pluged the cd onto another computer to find that it had scored 58.89x on nero cd speed test, which rules out the possibility of cd reader faulty.

Can anyone please help me ....
Thanks you for your attention

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've got a similar problem with a LG 52X CD-ROM. Works flawlessly on my Epox 8KTA3PRO motherboard (with Latency Patch) but in my nephew's machine it reads CD-R's at 1X (that's right, 150KB per second). Pressed CD-ROMS are fine 80-90% of the time and CD-RWs are perfect. I can copy entire disks in 3-5 minutes just not CD-R's. I've tried many different brands written from a few different writers. I've also flashed new firmware onto the drive.

I'll probably give my nephew my old Toshiba 24X CD-ROM but I would like to figure this out so I'll be watching this thread for ideas.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
Try closing the CD-R (permanently prevents it from being written to again - i.e. multisession). Some older and/or cheap drives have a problem with unclosed CD-Rs.

If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought, I wouldn't have thought so much.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks but they are closed sessions. I even tried permanent closed disks. I did mention that the CDROM drive works fine on one system. When I move the drive to my nephew's system the problem comes back and it's only CD-R's not CD-RWs, CD-ROMs, or audio CDs that have the 1X transfer problem. Some CD-ROMs strugle and it takes maybe 7 minutes to copy a full disk of data instead of 3-5 minutes but nothing like the problem with CD-Rs.

I did forget to mention this. The drive transfers a small amount of data then it spins down. Spins up and transfers more. Repeats until done. Never gives any errors just slow, slow, slow!

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 04/26/02 04:34 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
"There picky little things CD-ROM drives"

Yeah, they are. Whatever happened to the days when you just plug 'em in and they work?

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>