Missing Primary Display

alsdee_

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
Hello Folks,

I have an infuriating problem relating to a missing primary display.

I was moving my old pc to my daughter's room after a number of years venerable service. It was last upgraded when its ATI HD3840 was quite a speedy beast. I disconnected it from my LG Flatron 22in display and a cheap and cheerful TV which it had worked perfectly on for years. The Flatron is VGA but I had it running through a DVI port with an adapter as this worked best. The TV was connected by HDMI.

Plugged it in to my daughters generic and admittedly poor monitor and nothing. Monitor (VGA) straight to power saving.. This was the same result whether using the VGA or DVI ports.

I decided to replicate the old set up with the flatron and TV to get access to Catalyst Control Centre to turn down the resolution or frequency but both the TV and the flatron are displaying the desktop from monitor 2. That's when the Flatron is in the DVI port. If put in the VGA it just goes black but stays powered.

My main problem is that with it being on Monitor 1, I cant get to CCC. I tried getting in by using onboard graphiics and whilst it displays fine (it is a VGA port) because it is running on the onboard kit, Catalyst wont allow changes to the set up.

Finally I would add that the intended 1 monitor solution works fine under Linux.

I'd really appreciate a hand here.

alsdee_

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
I meant to add, I have uninstalled CCC and removed the amdkmdag driver and reinstalled the lot and also tried a system restore.

Cheers