Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will trendnet work with a comcast modem?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 30, 2012 12:16:24 AM

I am setting up trendnet for my parents so they can be on their own computers at the same time( one PC, one laptop) They have Comcast has their internet provider & have a comcast modem. Be fore I try to set it up I wanted to know if trendnet work with a comcast modem.

Best solution

March 30, 2012 6:59:33 AM

Yup. You should come put of the Comcast router via ethernet to the trendnet router, where all the IP info and the such will be propagated out to the PCs. Just make sure to put security on it (WPA or whatever) and match your parents' computers to what you set in the router.
March 30, 2012 3:35:48 PM

The comcast modem isn't wireless so I want to make sure that that the laptop will get an internet connection as well as the PC. Do you think it will?
m
l
Related resources
March 30, 2012 4:42:48 PM

The comcast is the modem. When you hook it to the trendnet, that's the wireless device. Your computers will talk to the trendnet, the trendnet will talk to comcast.
m
l
March 30, 2012 5:04:55 PM

Great! Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.
m
l
March 30, 2012 5:05:50 PM

Best answer selected by duckykath.
m
l
March 31, 2012 4:21:53 PM

scottiemedic said:
The comcast is the modem. When you hook it to the trendnet, that's the wireless device. Your computers will talk to the trendnet, the trendnet will talk to comcast.

The trendnet model that I got is : TRENDnet TE100-S5 5-Port Ethernet Switch (5 x 10/100Mbps Auto-MDIX RJ-45 Ports). My boyfriend said this is not wireless & it will not work. Do you agree? I just want to make sure before I I try to set it up.
m
l
March 31, 2012 5:37:28 PM

Oh, in that case, no it will not work. I assumed you had a trendnet wireless router and didn't know how to chain it to your modem. You need a wireless router hooked to the modem to get wireless
m
l
!