Sign in with
Your question

A good GPU under $100?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 11, 2013 1:02:16 AM

Hi everyone!! It's my first post here and I just became a member :D 

So are there any good GPUs under the price of $100? and by the brand of Nvidia or AMD Radeon?

These are my specs http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en...

I mostly want a gpu for its resolution and barely for gaming. I have a dell 23 in LED 1920X1080 Monitor and I want the picture to be clearer and higher quality.

Thanks in advance :bounce: 

More about : good gpu 100

a c 85 U Graphics card
March 11, 2013 1:48:24 AM

I'd grab a 7750.

That being said, you know that a graphics card won't make your picture be clearer OR of higher quality, right?

If it's unclear or of bad quality and you're running at the monitor's native monitor, you simply have a bad quality monitor.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2013 1:54:49 AM

even a cheap gpu should give you clear pictures/videos. but this is not gaming of course, good crisp graphics usually require muscle.

and unfortunately, $100 wont cut it for modern good looking games (except a few).

but yeah a 7750 should be good enough. 7770 is better if you can buy it
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2013 1:58:20 AM

NYKnicks324 said:
Hi everyone!! It's my first post here and I just became a member :D 

So are there any good GPUs under the price of $100? and by the brand of Nvidia or AMD Radeon?

These are my specs http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en...

I mostly want a gpu for its resolution and barely for gaming. I have a dell 23 in LED 1920X1080 Monitor and I want the picture to be clearer and higher quality.

Thanks in advance :bounce: 

Welcome To Toms Hardware! Hope you will have fun here!

Id go with the 6670 or 7750 from AMD or the Geforce GT 430, GT 620 or GT 630 from Nvidia for budget GPUs

As DarkSable mentioned, nothing will make your picture any clearer, other then a better monitor, unless its cased by a non-native LCD resolution. If its that, then a stronger GPU will handle it well.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
March 11, 2013 4:52:52 AM

The Radeon 7750 is far faster than those other cards that you listed. At least mention GT 640 GDDR5 and GTX 650 if you're going to list real Nvidia alternatives to Radeon 7750 GDDR5.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2013 4:21:28 AM

remember youll need a psu upgrade also...except for the 7750...youll need a 6pin pci express plug which the hp doesnt have....i have a hp also and know this.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2013 4:23:44 AM

ya could use a molex to 6pin adapter tho i geus but the hp only has a 300w psu.
m
l
March 19, 2013 4:48:16 AM

Any gpu with HDMI will do, provided you wont be gaming at all. That means no crisis 3 =p
m
l
March 19, 2013 5:55:02 AM

what monitor are you using? is it connected by hdmi?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2013 9:02:08 AM

azed3000 said:
Any gpu with HDMI will do, provided you wont be gaming at all. That means no crisis 3 =p

thats wrong most gpu's need a 6pin adapter which his hp doesnt have

m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
March 19, 2013 10:12:03 AM

ARICH5 said:
azed3000 said:

thats wrong most gpu's need a 6pin adapter which his hp doesnt have

They're graphics cards, not GPUs (that goes for everyone making that mistake). A GPU is merely a part of a graphics card or other modern graphics solution.

Most graphics cards do not need a PCIe power connector.

By saying something like any card with HDMI will do, that implies that it doesn't matter how low end the card is so long as it has HDMI. Very low end cards do not have PCIe power connectors these days because they don't use enough power to need it. The added sentences about not gaming well with such suggestions in the post that you replied to further supports that he/she was specifically referring to very low end cards.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2013 5:19:35 PM

blaz i respect your opinion:)  Graphics Prossesing Unit is the correct terminology for graphics cards. to call it anything else is pedantic. splitting hairs.
i was pointing out that if the op takes his advice and plugs in a 690/7970 he will be limited to a 300w psu. :) 
m
l
March 19, 2013 5:57:26 PM

ARICH5 said:
blaz i respect your opinion:)  Graphics Prossesing Unit is the correct terminology for graphics cards. to call it anything else is pedantic. splitting hairs.
i was pointing out that if the op takes his advice and plugs in a 690/7970 he will be limited to a 300w psu. :) 

Cheers blaz for clearing it up!

Blaz was right, hence why i wrote "provided youre not gaming", if you read original post, the op doesnt want to spend over 100 dollatrs, nearly every card over 100 has a pcie connector, and you certainly wont be getting a gtx 690 for less than 100 =p So i'm pretty sure what i said was correct.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
March 20, 2013 10:49:29 AM

ARICH5 said:

I respect yours as well, but what I said about terminology was not an opinion, but a fact ;)  Graphics Processing Unit is not correct terminology for a graphics card. It is merely correct terminology for the processor on the graphics card. A graphics card is a graphics card. It can also be called discrete graphics adapter and a few other things, but GPU is not one of the proper terms. To call a graphics card a GPU is like calling a whole computer a CPU. Do you see the problem with that?

This is nitpicking, but it's still ensuring that people know the proper terminology so that mistakes aren't made on it in the future. You might be surprised by how many times I've had to explain all of this to people who want to get into overclocking and get confused by the incorrect terminology that many people use. To stop such issues from occurring. I try to spread the proper terms for technology when I can.
m
l
!