DVD-Audio Advanced Resolution Stereo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi,

Does anyone know if the "Advanced Resolution Stereo (96 kHz/24-bit)"
listed on the disc content of a DVD-Audio is something distinct from
the multi-channel content? I am playing "Bach Organ Spectacular" with
Ton Koopman on my Panasonic S97 DVD player (which supports DVD-Audio),
and when I press "AUDIO" on the player's remote a menu comes up on the
TV listing two tracks, 1 and 2. Track 1 has a check mark next to it
and is labelled "PPCM 96kHz 24bit 6ch," and 2 is not checked
(regardless of whether I select it) and has no label. My player says
"D.MIX" on the front panel no matter what I choose, and I can't hear
any difference when I try to switch between the two tracks, so I
suspect what I am hearing is always a downmixed version of the
multi-channel content. Is "Advanced Resolution Stereo" supposed to be
something other than the downmix? How do I select it? I don't want to
miss out!

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
MDeB
p.s. I do not check mail at the above address.

http://www.ardice.com/Computers/Programming/Languages/REBOL/FAQs,_Help,_and_Tutorials/Advanced/

mdebell@juno.com writes:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if the "Advanced Resolution Stereo (96 kHz/24-bit)"
> listed on the disc content of a DVD-Audio is something distinct from
> the multi-channel content?

When available, it is distinct.

> I am playing "Bach Organ Spectacular" with
> Ton Koopman on my Panasonic S97 DVD player (which supports DVD-Audio),
> and when I press "AUDIO" on the player's remote a menu comes up on the
> TV listing two tracks, 1 and 2. Track 1 has a check mark next to it
> and is labelled "PPCM 96kHz 24bit 6ch," and 2 is not checked
> (regardless of whether I select it) and has no label. My player says
> "D.MIX" on the front panel no matter what I choose, and I can't hear
> any difference when I try to switch between the two tracks, so I
> suspect what I am hearing is always a downmixed version of the
> multi-channel content. Is "Advanced Resolution Stereo" supposed to be
> something other than the downmix? How do I select it? I don't want to
> miss out!
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas.
> MDeB
> p.s. I do not check mail at the above address.

I believe that the 2-channel high-resolution "track" is optional. It
sounds like it isn't there on your disc. Or it could be there but
you're having a player setup problem.
--
Randy Yates
Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications

Thank you for the reply. I apologize again for the duplicate thread.
I tried to delete one but could not. I'm going to post to the other
one, and to avoid confusion should we consider this one terminated?
Thanks again!