60 degrees C under load, fans at 95%, okay for GTX 590?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've had my trusty Asus GTX 590 since April of 2011 and I've only just started monitoring its temps (Yeah, I know lol. Shame on me.)

I always use Afterburner to turn my fans to 95% whenever gaming just to be safe. The highest I've ever seen the GPUs go (that's with the fans turned up to 95%) is about 60 degrees C (Playing Assassin's Creed 3). Idle (just surfing internet; no youtube or anything like that) with the fans set to "auto" the GPUs run at around 30 degrees C each.

I think that's safe for a 590 but I just want to make sure, what do you guys think?

Also, I need to know at what temps the video card is going to start making itself work slower (throttling usage or lowering voltage, something like that) in order to keep it from overheating. The reason I ask is to make sure I never reach THAT high of a temperature because the last thing I want is for my games FPS to drop because of temps.

Thanks guys.

Solution
Well it's probably healthier to have the fan running at higher RPM than the card running at higher temperature, although I still don't recommend having it too high over extended periods of time as the bearings may eventually come off and cause the fan to sound like a thousand mosquitoes on speed.

You should be 100% safe on both fronts if you up the temps to 70 C.

hizodge

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
You're safe up to 80-85 Celsius depending on the card. Some cards won't turn themselves off before reaching a ridiculous 105 degrees so yeah you're fine. Rather, aren't you concerned about the noise? Most fans aren't designed to be operated at full RPM and under typical gaming conditions they would never really have to. If I were you, I'd make a fan profile that lets the card run at higher temperature just to minimize the noise.

G

Thanks hizodge. Input from anybody else would also be appreciated.

Nah, the noise doesn't really bother me because my computer is quite far from where I sit when I game and my volume is normally turned up quite high. I know it isn't healthy for the video card's life if the fan is running at full RPM but I figure by the time it craps out it'll be time to upgrade anyways.

hizodge

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Well it's probably healthier to have the fan running at higher RPM than the card running at higher temperature, although I still don't recommend having it too high over extended periods of time as the bearings may eventually come off and cause the fan to sound like a thousand mosquitoes on speed.

You should be 100% safe on both fronts if you up the temps to 70 C.

Solution
G

Perhaps you're right then, I guess I'll give it a little leeway. I'll think about making a custom profile then.

Thanks hizodge!

That'll do it for this thread, close whenever mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.