Sign in with
Your question

Missing HDD Space (Win8)

Last response: in Windows 8
February 8, 2013 10:21:27 PM

I've searched nearly every post and didn't find anything that helps me. I am missing 25GB.Windirstat\SpaceMonger detect an "unknown" sector. I trried taking permission to go into ALL the system directories (System Volume Information, etc) and check the file sizes (all small sizes). So it cannot be due to system recovery points (checked this), nor temp directories. I have ran disk checking, disk cleanup (in all the advanced ways).

I am completely out of options here. Anybody know how to resolve this?

More about : missing hdd space win8

a b * Windows 8
February 8, 2013 10:53:11 PM

If windows 8 works like windows 7, it may have placed a hidden recovery partition on your hard drive.

Depending on the drive, you will not get the full amount of useable space that is advertised anyway.
I think the hidden partition should only be a couple of hundred mb.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 8, 2013 11:31:30 PM

The hidden partition for a vanilla install of Windows 8 (one that you do yourself as the user) is 300MB.

If you bought an OEM machine from Dell, Asus, HP or any of the other big manufacturers, the recovery partition will definitely be much larger.

!!DO NOT DELETE THE RECOVERY PARTITION ON AN OEM MACHINE!!

If you delete the recovery partition on an OEM system and have a problem with the OS where you need to reinstall, not having the OEM recovery partition will render the device useless permanently until you ship it back to the manufacturer to have the factory image re-applied. Your only 2 other options would be to pay the OEM for recovery disks and have them sent to you, or go out and buy another Windows 8 license.

To determine the size of your recovery partition, open the Disk Management wizard (press the Windows key + X, select Disk management from the menu displayed). Any hidden partitions on your drive will be noted here.

Another possibility here is that System Restore has created a lot of restore points and thus used up a bunch of what would otherwise be available space. You can verify this by pressing the Windows key + Pause/Break on your keyboard to open the System Properties window. Click System Protection at the left. Find the drive letter in the list you are concerned about, highlight it in the list and click Configure. The current usage by System Restore, and the maximum available storage for use by System Restore will be displayed. You can delete the existing restore points from this window as well if you so choose.
m
l
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
February 8, 2013 11:50:33 PM

This is what happens when tech specs get written by the marketing department instead of the engineering department

A Gigabyte (a binary number by definition) represe4nts 1,073,741,824 bytes in base 10.... the marketing folks have redefined in "Sales speak" as 1,000,000,000. So ya just lost 7% of ya storage space by deceptive advertising.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/194563e...
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 8, 2013 11:50:47 PM

Is it an upgrade,maybe needs to delete windows.old file.
m
l
February 8, 2013 11:59:29 PM

As others mentioned it could that once formatted you loose a percentage of disk space because of the file system allocation table but I don't think this is what you're referring to.

Someone mentioned a hidden recovery partition, so if you have a Dell, HP, Gateway, Acer, etc... almost every major system builders have hidden recovery partitions now.
m
l
February 9, 2013 12:29:50 AM

Hi!

Thanks for the replies.

This is a custom built computer with a 1TB HDD. I made my own partition for windows and it is this partition that is missing 25MB. Before, I had full access to this missing hard drive space but now I have literally 0kb available space.

To clarify a few things:

There is no Windows.old folder, I deleted that ages ago.

It is not due to JackNaylorPE's description of bad sales advertisement, I had access to this space before.

It is not due to System Recovery Points, etc. I have literally granted myself access to all system folders manually and checked the space of the stuff inside. I found like 1GB of stuff. System Restore points were all disabled too, just in case.

Any other possibilities?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 9, 2013 1:26:00 AM

TheMathKing said:
Hi!

Thanks for the replies.

This is a custom built computer with a 1TB HDD. I made my own partition for windows and it is this partition that is missing 25MB. Before, I had full access to this missing hard drive space but now I have literally 0kb available space.

To clarify a few things:

There is no Windows.old folder, I deleted that ages ago.

It is not due to JackNaylorPE's description of bad sales advertisement, I had access to this space before.

It is not due to System Recovery Points, etc. I have literally granted myself access to all system folders manually and checked the space of the stuff inside. I found like 1GB of stuff. System Restore points were all disabled too, just in case.

Any other possibilities?

Dumb question:
Have you picked the option to be able to view hidden folders?
m
l
February 9, 2013 1:39:55 AM

geofelt said:
Dumb question:
Have you picked the option to be able to view hidden folders?

Yep! I have selected the option to view hidden folders AND system folders. Windirstat can see those folders too, yet still detects a 25~30GB <UNKNOWN> space.

If you use SpaceMonger, it will tell you all the directories that it couldn't access (usually System Volume Information, etc), and I forced permissions to let me open every one of those folders. That space is still not accounted for.

By the way, thanks to everybody who has responded to this post so far!

Mike
m
l
February 9, 2013 2:10:03 AM

I am suspecting this is some sort of virus. I freed 1gb of space so I could actually use my computer (0KB before) and it was just gobbled up into this "unknown" space.

I am gonna try formatting.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 9, 2013 4:28:36 AM

I think I recall something about a huge search index that ate someones hard drive on windows 8. the file was never closed and the OS never resolved the file space. The fix was to go into control panel, under indexing, advanced options and to select "delete and rebuild the index" You might have to shut down or restart the service first(windows search), I have not had the problem myself. You might give it a shot.
m
l
May 5, 2013 10:47:42 PM

I have/had the same problem as TheMathKing. In my case, I can see all partitions, and my system partition's reported size is 60GB large. The total size of all files on this partition (including hibernation/page files, etc) is 32GB, yet I only have 200MB free. How is this possible? I'm missing almost 30GB or 50% of my partition.

Due to johnbl's suggestion about the huge search index, i moved my index file to my secondary drive (2TB) and it freed up most of the missing space on my system partition. I still have 7GB unaccounted for.

Oh Microsoft... why?
m
l
July 15, 2013 11:58:07 AM

Have you enabled to show system files also? I had this issue because of fast startup on win8 and a file called hiberfil.sys which is the size of your ram(16gb in my case) and used up all my free OS partition space. I changed that file size(or you can disable it) and that helped me resolve this type of issue:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/perfor...
m
l
July 15, 2013 1:03:24 PM

In windows 8 this is the hibernation file. Disable fast boot, and hibernation and see if it resolves itself. Depending on what your system has actively open and is working on this file can get quite large.
m
l
December 7, 2013 9:34:11 AM

I know this is an old post, but for those searching around the internet, it can still show up as relevant.

Two solutions:

Use a program like TreeSize http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/
This program, and others like it, show you more information than what windows explorer will.

There are things called "shadow storage/copies/files/etc"'. Things such as restore points and previous versions of files.

You can go into the command prompt (run as admin) and change to the drive you want to view, and type in

vssadmin list shadowstorage

This will list information about the shadow storage and how much is taken up by it.

That might give a better idea as to what is taking up space.
m
l
!