Copy problem

henly1234

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Hi,

I have just purchased 2 x32gb micro sd cards, one for my andriod dell streak and one for my android tablet s, the idea is to store mp3s and music vids on them, however when i try to copy from my windows library it seems to take a very long time and not all the files are copied, the folders seem to be there intact but quite often they are (not all) empty, ive tried to copy them folder by folder and it seems to work but when i go back to them they are again empty, ive only notice it happening with these cards which are formatted with fat32 ive tried other formats but they will not format to anything else other than fat32, im using windows native copy command running windows 7 x86, maybe ill try some sort of third party copy prog.

Im a long time windows user and not a noob :eek: ......

however any help would be appreciated

henly1234

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Thanks for that, yes im aware of the file size limitation, my vids are mainly song clips so dont exceed about .5 of a meg, I can connect via a usb but am using a laptop with a card R/W built in, so i copy to the card then instal it into the device
atm Im trying something called Fast copy, which has good reviewsw.

skaz

Distinguished

First, if you haven't already, use the formatter from the SD association. https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/ . This will correctly format the SD card. Your speeds should improve or be closer to the actual class of the card now. Speaking of, what is the cards class rating?

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

Maybe the card reader is not up to the task? Does it fully support SDHC? Does it have the proper driver installed from the laptop manufacturer's support site? I can also recall something about an optional Windows update, which had something to do with SDHC card readers.

henly1234

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
The cards re nothing special, class 4 i believe, as far as the card reader is concerned it is built into the laptop so there should be np with it,

I tried to copy with Fast copy and while there seems to be an improvement it still seemed to be missing vast chunks of files in variouse directories seemingly at random, really weird, ive never heard of or experienced this problem before.

skaz

Distinguished

Okay, so your card is rated at roughly around 4 MB/s transfer speed. Did you format with the formatter I linked to you?

henly1234

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Yes, I had already done that, tried again today, I have 5 full length vids on there with np, from the same dir. that the others were copied from, (dir. structure = my movies (base), movies, then five various artists subs) the copy prog apparently copied the files and showed them as copied it also showed 8.88gb out of 30.8gb free, however when I take out the card and reboot and replace the card the various dir are empty except the 5 full length movies which total 8,82gb, but it still shows the same 8,88 free, so it looks as though they are there but not showing in explorer.

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

Okay, a HP Presario. I need some model/serial number/identification, so that I can check the specifications of that card reader on HP's support site.
Or if you have the product guide, you can check them, if it's in there. Does it expressly say anything about SDHC or supported SDHC capacities?

Also the SD cards, what do we know about them. Make, model, serial number, etc.

henly1234

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
OK its not the card reader/writer, Iwent out yesterday and bought a usb universal card reader, ( not a cheap one ) and tried copying again and had the same results, Ill try and transfer the files to another laptop by either wifi or wire and see if i can copy from that.

the laptop is a fairly old one, as i said its a Pressario CQ 61 310sa, and all I know about the cards is that they are class 4 Transend micro 10 sdhc 32gb.

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
I see. I feel a little bit bad about the unnecessary expense. However, trying the cards in a reader which is known to handle (by specifications) the highest capacity SDHC cards (as I read that that's not always the case) seems to be the only way to *exclude the possibility* that it's the reader's fault, may that reader be a dedicated USB one, another laptop, or the devices you're intended to use them in.

henly1234

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Please dont feel sad, the expense was not that great just said that to show that i didnt buy a very cheap one.

this http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1436875 may explain why im having trouble see the post about counterfeighting.

its definately not the reader or the computer because the same thing happens on my other laptop which is only a few weeks old.

I bought them from 'Micro sd cards uk ltd'so i will try to contact them tomorrow.

Ive just been back to the web site and the cards are displayed as 32gb class 4 but on closer inspection mine have Transcend class 10 stamped on them.

henly1234

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
I tested the cards using 'h2testw' and this is what it says,

Warning: Only 31567 of 31568 MByte tested.
The media is likely to be defective.
985 MByte OK (2017280 sectors)
29.8 GByte DATA LOST (62631936 sectors)
Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
29.8 GByte corrupted (62631936 sectors)
0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x000000003caf7e00
Expected: 0x000000003caf7e00
Found: 0x0000000000000000
H2testw version 1.3
Writing speed: 3.66 MByte/s
Reading speed: 6.30 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

not quite sure what that tells me but it doesnt look good.

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Well, you were prudent enough not to say the "F" word so far (I mean "fake" of course). I googled around and this doesn't look good either, especially the messages on the second page of the thread.
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=47886&start=0

Or this one:
http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.microsdcardsonline.co.uk
Note the name: "Aaron Hamilton" and in the other site, there's a mention of "aaron-hamilton@hotmail.co.uk". Well, it's no wonder he got his delivery fast, then.

Still, it may be (started as) legit business, with real name (why didn't he use another alias for the fake review?)

Anyhow it ends, I'm sure people reading this thread will learn to be more cautious with their online purchases.