Is Plextor still the best?

mis3

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2001
I always thought that Plextor makes the best CD IDE burners.

One of my friends told me today that while this was true a few years ago for the 8x, since then, other companies have caught on and make better burners than Plextor. Is this true?

What do you think about the Yamaha CRW3200 (24X)? Or should I buy the Plextor 24X or maybe the 40X? Bear in mind that I don't really mind the price difference.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Lite-On has the fastest burner at 40X12X48X. They're good quality, but they don't have as many software extras.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
I also agree....my old Emachine's PC came with a dam LG crappy Burner... it says LG-CD-RW, meanwhile it would only burn CD-R discs... Upgraded to the Plextor 24, what a dam difference

This Community is like a Second Family!!

mis3

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2001
There are 2 reviews articles in THG talking about Yamaha CD burners.
The first one reviews both CRW2100E and 2200E and it says that both of this drives have problems in error correction functions.
The 2nd article reviews the newer CRW3200E, it doesn't mention anything about the error corrections. Does this mean that Yamaha has overcome its problem in this area?

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you don't mind the price, go for Plextor. In my eyes, they're still number 1. If you want to go economical, go with a Lite-on. Very reliable drives at a very good price.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
i would stick with the Plextor, they have amazing Hardware! there #1 to me... although yamaha and lite on aren't bad, i just prefer the Plextor...

This Community is like a Second Family!!

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
just wondering...does asus make good burners?

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

mis3

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2001
I looked closely in the reviews in CDRLABS on Plextor 40X and Yamaha 24X. It said that while Plextor 40X can do EFM encoding correctly, Yamaha cannot. This ability is needed to reproduce some copy protections like SafeDisc.

Is this important?

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I don't know what CDRLABS is talking about because my Yamaha 3200e can do the encoding and make backup copies
of the SafeDisc. I made a copy of Max Payne with no problems. Perhaps they tested a pre-production burner.

:smile: <b><font color=green> I took an I.Q. test today...It came back negative.</font color=green></b> :smile:

mis3

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2001
Let me get this clear.

Does this EFM encoding only apply to the copy-portected portion of the CD?
In other words, if I copy a CD with copy protected mechanism like SafeDisc, the data portion of the CD will be copied fine either way but with EFM encoding, the resulting CD will be copy-protected as well. On the other hand, without EFM encoding, the CD will be fine but NOT copy-protected. Am I right?

juicebykurt

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
I'm gonna go with Lite-On. I don't see why anyone would pay nearly twice as much for a Plextor. You're paying for the brandname and "extra goodies". That's just not worth the price if you ask me, since the Lite-On is on par in quality and performance. AND you get the added bonus of being able to burn the latest copy protection. It's a no brainer.

Check out the thread "24x equivalent to 40x write speed". I posted some of the results of a review.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
plextor isnt alone nowdays.

there are also pioneer, yamaha, sony, samsung, teac, ...

<i>it was true 5 or 6 years before but not now.</i>

if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<i><font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...<font color=red>