HDTV In and Out Tivo DVR with DVD Recording?

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
May 24, 2005 2:37:39 PM

I am a previous Tivo owner that, about a year ago, abandoned by old
Tivo because of its inability to handle High Def inputs (compositve
video and coax were the only inputs)... after frustrating myself with
the limitations of my Comcast Cable HD DVR (6 hours & horrible
interface). I am now back in the market for a Tivo DVR. I am
attracted to the DVD-R/RW feature as this will allow me to archive old
shows... and free up space. So really what I am looking for is a
cable compatible (DirecTV already has a highdef receiver - and DirecTV
is not an option) Tivo DVR, DVD-R/RW with High Def (RGB) inputs and
outputs.

Thank you for your help.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 5:48:21 PM

thank you.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 11:57:08 PM

jeffcouch10@gmail.com writes:
>I am a previous Tivo owner that, about a year ago, abandoned by old
>Tivo because of its inability to handle High Def inputs (compositve
>video and coax were the only inputs)... after frustrating myself with
>the limitations of my Comcast Cable HD DVR (6 hours & horrible
>interface). I am now back in the market for a Tivo DVR. I am
>attracted to the DVD-R/RW feature as this will allow me to archive old
>shows... and free up space. So really what I am looking for is a
>cable compatible (DirecTV already has a highdef receiver - and DirecTV
>is not an option) Tivo DVR, DVD-R/RW with High Def (RGB) inputs and
>outputs.

You'll have to wait a bit. They've announced products are being worked
on, but the Cable-Card TiVo won't be out for some time yet.

BTW: DVDs aren't High-Def, you'd have to step down the resolution to archive
shows on DVD, not sure if there's enough CPU power in a set-top box to
do transcoding like that.
May 25, 2005 3:06:25 AM

jeffcouch10@gmail.com wrote:
> So really what I am looking for is a DVD-R/RW with High Def (RGB) inputs

There are no devices in the consumer price range with that
functionality. Are you willing to spend several thousand dollars for
professional-grade equipment?
-Joe
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 12:20:46 PM