Olfin_Bedwere

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
Since the 850E will require 32-Bit single channel RDRAM modules from what i've heard, would this solution have a lower latency than the 16-bit dual-channel version?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Nope, probably higher in fact. Dual-channel was one of the things that has helped lower RDRAM's latency.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

eden

Champion
Hmm and Raystonn said latency does not decrease when Dual Channeling. Although he was referring to DDR, I seriously doubt he didn't mean RDRAM too.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
Actually, 32bit RIMMs are effectively 2 single-sided 16bit modules back to back on a new PCB. The latency would be no different than dual-channel 16bit. The latency is caused by the number of devices (chips) used and the individual latency of each device. The devices used in 32bit RIMMs are not currently 32bit. If Rambus ever releases 32bit devices they will probably yield lower or similar latency.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.