Creating private network on public network

Status
Not open for further replies.

srwhitesides

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
I just moved into an apartment where the internet is being provided to me via wifi (open). The landlord doesn't have a private network, he is with me. What I'm was curious about is if it is possible for me to use a second router to create a secured network for all my devices? My thought would look like this: ISP>Landlords Router>wireless>MyRouter. I know you can have private and public wifi but the two routers have to be connected, which isn't going to happen in my situation. Alternatively if you can think of some other solutions that might help, I would gladly accept. I haven't talked to him about the fact that he needs to secure his router mainly because we never cross paths. Thanks

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

The network being uses is private, the "public" network is the internet. The IP range you would be getting is 192.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x correct?

You can setup a subnet off his network to separate the data from the others that use this connection but you need a router capable of that. This can help you get started https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2101560

Using wifi will complicate things a bit as you need to get a wife access point to connect to instead of just wiring up an ethernet cable to the common router.

srwhitesides

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

That IP range is correct. If I can't do it with the devices I currently have (linksys dd-wrt) then I don't want to break the bank to make it happen. If I were to purchase something to make it work I would buying something like the Buffalo wireless dual band converter.

I'm not positive I understand what you are trying to suggest in that link. It seems like they are trying something more complex than what I want.

I want to receive his wireless signal on my router and create my own SSID to broadcast out. In theory I feel like this should work with only two routers. I'm thinking there may be something in the middle that is required to make it actually work?

Thanks again

srwhitesides

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

Perfect! That's what I needed to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.