Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How To Check If Someone Is Stealing Your WiFi & What You Can Do

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 2, 2012 3:45:50 AM

I live in a town house with 3 roommates and a wireless network which we all use but without sharing computers. There are several houses around us that also have wireless local networks set up. A few days ago I noticed that my computer started up on a newly listed network that is unsecured called "Linksys" network instead of automatically starting up on our secured Comcast wireless house network, which is much more powerful than the Linksys one nearby. Looking at the information listed for the "Linksys" network to try and find out where it is coming from and why I was automatically linking up to it upon startup, , I discovered that it is aparently using my own Linksys Wireless G PCI Adapter card that I have installed in my computer to connect to our network, which is coming up as a secured network. The Linksys network is being broadcasted as a local "unsecured" network. How can this be possible, and how can I get these parasites off our network and out of my PCI card? Thanks for any ideas--We have a Comcast Netgear 54 MBps Wireless router WGR614v8 running the house network of about 6 computers in all. Any ideas on how to remove the parasitizing "Linkys" network without shutting down my network connection card and getting it secured if that is possible? Thanks-Astonished

More about : check stealing wifi

Best solution

April 4, 2012 3:18:28 PM

I always just assume that someone is/will try to get on my network. It sounds like your computer wireless connected to the other wireless network instead of yours -- disconnect from it and block it from other accessible networks. Then secure your network properly, or at least the best that you can, including changing the router ID and password, only allowing it to be changed via a wired connection and altering your WPA2 keyphrase. Here are some things to do to insure better security, like MAC addressing: http://www.wikihow.com/Secure-Your-Wireless-Home-Networ...

Also, if you can, disable WPS on your router to prevent a Reaver attack that will exploit a side door into your WPA2 security.
April 12, 2012 1:25:58 AM

Thanks!-kmagee
Score
Related resources
April 22, 2012 7:57:53 PM

Best answer selected by kmagee.
Score
April 22, 2012 9:37:31 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!