I'm after a drive for my Dad.

Ideally I'd like it to be a CD-RW/DVD combo. I don't want to be spending hundreds for it.

Here are the current runners:

LG GCC-4120B 12w 8rw 32r + 8r DVD (2MB buffer, Exaclink BURN Tech.)- £88.63

RICOH MP9200A-DP 20w 10rw 40r + 12r DVD (2MB buffer) - £142.18

YAMAHA CRW3200E-VK 24w 10rw 40r (8MB buffer, BURN Proof) - £111.62

Now the Ricoh doesn't appeal at all. To give you an idea, my Dad doesn't do too much DVD reading or CD writing. He has never used his current DVD player for DVDs! I feel though, that these days many software packs are coming in a DVD version etc. so it's worth it. His current DVD player is also his CD-ROM, and it's taken a battering from all the CD-ROMs. I'll replace it with a CD-ROM proper.

The Yamaha is only a CD-RW, but I have the 2100E and with the 8MB buffer etc, I've <b>never</b> had a problem with it. I would love a CD-RW + DVD + 8MB buffer model. Anything like that on the market? Preferably Yamaha, but anything considered.

Cheers!

<b><font color=blue>~ Oh flower of Scotland...da da de de dum dum doo doo.~ </font color=blue></b>

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
The <A HREF="http://www.plextor.com/english/products/20_10.html" target="_new">plextor plexcombo 20/10/40-12a</A> comes close but doesn't totally meet your requirements. It is high quality but only 2mb buffer and cost around £125.

:eek: :frown: :mad: :eek: :redface: :cool: :lol: :tongue: :wink: - What do you want to feel today? :)