Press power button for 10 secs for power-up!?

G

Sorry for the croocked subject, but there is not much room to explain in short what the problem is. So in more detail the problem:

When my computer has not been connected to power for a couple of days, and I reconnect it, turn on the power switch in the back, and press the power button in front, it powers up as it should, which is: immediately.
If I leave the power plug in the socket and the switch in the back to "on", when I shut down (which any normal person does) the after a while, it doesn't immediately power up when I press the power button. A strange thing happens. I have to hold the power button for a while (couple of secs), after which I release the power button and press it once again short to power up! Then it powers up correctly. To make it more strange, the time I have to hold the power button before it starts up normally, increases over time! At this moment, for instance, I have to press the power button for approx 15 seconds before it responds to the second time I press it.
When I take off all the power of the computer (that is unplug the whole thing) for a couple of days, it powers up immediately again after pressing only once. Then the whole thing starts over.
This, however doesn't happen when I power up immediately after I've been using it for about half an hour or longer.

When powered on, the computer runs fine, without crashes or glitches or anything. It powers down normally as well.

Seems to me that there is some sort of buffer of energy (Mobo battery maybe?) which has to fill or empty itself before it can be powered on normally.
The cmos clock runs on time, so taking off power completely doesn't make the mobo completely dead, and the settings are in tact.

Ok, so the configuration:
Intel PIII - 1 Ghz
512 Mb Ram
Asus CUSL2-C mainboard
Asus V7100 TNT 64Mb GeForce 2MX Graphics card
Creative Soundblaster Live AWE
SCSI controller card
Level-1 Network Adapter
Firewire IEEE1394 Host controller
Promise Ultra ATA 133Mhz Controller Card
2x 40Gb HDD Maxtor 7200 Rpm
1x 100Gb HDD Western Digital 7200 Rpm
1x 120Gb HDD Western Digital 7200 Rpm 8mb cahe
1x Plextor SCSI 32 speed CDrom
1x Plextor SCSI 12 speed CD Re-writer
And a 300 Watt Power supply in a hightower to make it all run.

If you have any clues or a similar problem, please let me know.
Thanks in advance anyway for taking the effort to read all this!

Regards,
Gurt

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Strange, I don´t know about the "push-power-15-secs" thing, but if you ask me I think it has something to do with your powersupply.
300w isn´t that much really, especially not considering all the stuff you have in there...

<font color=blue>Be yourself, do whatever <font color=red>you</font color=red> like</font color=blue>

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Man, I would have to agree, especially if it's some cheap brand. Get an Enermax or something like that in there, like one of those Whisper 431W models. Even if that doesn't solve the problem, the fact that you're running so much stuff on 300W amazes me.

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - My Windows XP-based Website</font color=red>

G

Well... the funny thing is that I had all this in a midi tower with a powersupply of 230 Watts and it seemed to be no problem, because it worked!? Because it was all stuffed too much I bought a bigger tower and now I have this problem. Weird isn't it?

Regards,
Gurt
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by gurt on 04/15/02 01:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>