Sign in with
Your question

Dynamic disk to Basic

Last response: in Windows 7
March 30, 2012 8:06:09 PM

I'll try and keep this as short as possible. I've got a dynamic disk that has Windows installed on one of the volumes. All I want to do is convert this back to a basic disk. I've been using Google and the only solutions I can find involves non free software. I'm not worried about losing the Windows installation. I would really appreciate any help.

More about : dynamic disk basic

a b $ Windows 7
March 30, 2012 8:28:46 PM

Try DISKPART, which is a DOS based program. It's part of Windows XP and up, replacing FDISK.

Google DISKPART commands, and see it you can do it. There is a "convert basic" command. I tried to cut and paste it, but my (work) PC is cr@p!
March 30, 2012 8:45:42 PM

Diskpart will NOT allow you to convert back to basic.

Only paid softwares offer the functionnality.

Backup your data and repartition is the only free solution
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
March 30, 2012 9:05:31 PM

lafontma said:

Only paid softwares offer the functionnality.

Backup your data and repartition is the only free solution

Not completely true. I know for Windows XP you could use Disk Probe to change from Dynamic to Basic. Hex editing was required. But note - you have to be very careful with it or you could bork your system. I used it many times on XP with no issues.

Check this out:

http://thelazyadmin.com/2007/01/converting-dynamic-disk...

I know it is for XP however it should work for 7. I've done this many times on XP with no fails.
March 31, 2012 8:10:18 PM

Thanks for the replies. I've got everything sorted out now.
a c 371 $ Windows 7
March 31, 2012 8:23:18 PM

To change a dynamic disk back to a basic disk using a command line

Back up all volumes on the disk you want to convert from dynamic to basic.

Open a command prompt and type diskpart.

At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert to basic.

At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.

At the DISKPART prompt, type detail disk <disknumber>.

For each volume on the disk, at the DISKPART prompt, type select volume= <volumenumber> and then type delete volume.

At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>. Specify the disk number of the disk that you want to convert to a basic disk.

At the DISKPART prompt, type convert basic.
a c 371 $ Windows 7
March 31, 2012 8:30:26 PM

Plus 1 Great free tool ^
!