soundblaster card set up hardware

Last response: in Home Audio
December 15, 2004 7:26:25 PM

i am usre this has been answered but sofar cannot find answer

i want to record tape and records to my pc using soundblaster live

using older amplifier for basic set up

concered about using speaker output into lin in on baster card

only output i have on amplifier is tape out--works great for phono
output but not from tape--can take output for casste recorder into line
in on card--works great

would like to simplify system by taking speaker output from amp into
sound card lin in

concerened about burning the card

any suggestion appreciated--( waiting to get newer amplifier)

tia
peter
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 7:26:26 PM

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:26:25 GMT, ilaboo <plener@earthlink.net> wrote:
>i am usre this has been answered but sofar cannot find answer

>i want to record tape and records to my pc using soundblaster live

>using older amplifier for basic set up

>concered about using speaker output into lin in on baster card

>only output i have on amplifier is tape out--works great for phono
>output but not from tape--can take output for casste recorder into line
>in on card--works great

>would like to simplify system by taking speaker output from amp into
>sound card lin in
Use the tape out. Run the tape's output into an aux input. Don't use
the tape monitor or you'll get feedback.

Unless you have a three head deck, you don't need the 'tape monitor' function
where you can send a selected input to the tape deck and hear the tape deck's
output.

>concerened about burning the card
you should be!
>any suggestion appreciated--( waiting to get newer amplifier)

>tia
>peter
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 7:26:26 PM

"ilaboo" wrote ...
>i am usre this has been answered but sofar cannot find answer
> i want to record tape and records to my pc using soundblaster live
> using older amplifier for basic set up
> concered about using speaker output into lin in on baster card
>
> only output i have on amplifier is tape out--works great for phono output
> but not from tape--can take output for casste recorder into line in on
> card--works great
>
> would like to simplify system by taking speaker output from amp into sound
> card lin in
>
> concerened about burning the card

You are correct that putting speaker-level into your Soundblaster
card is not a safe thing to do. You can use attenuator pads to pad
the speaker-level down to line level.

Note that even using pads to make the signal safe is NOT
recommended because the speaker output is significantly
more noisy than any line-level output (such as the Tape Out).

> any suggestion appreciated--( waiting to get newer amplifier)

Even a new amplifier might not do what you want. The
"Tape Out" never connects to the "Tape In" for obvious
reasons. That is why you will never hear the tape source
in the "Tape Out" signal.

Suggest one of these...
1) Plug the tape deck into some OTHER line-level input
2) Use an external switch box
December 15, 2004 11:31:19 PM

Richard Crowley wrote:
> "ilaboo" wrote ...
>
>>i am usre this has been answered but sofar cannot find answer
>>i want to record tape and records to my pc using soundblaster live
>>using older amplifier for basic set up
>>concered about using speaker output into lin in on baster card
>>
>>only output i have on amplifier is tape out--works great for phono output
>>but not from tape--can take output for casste recorder into line in on
>>card--works great
>>
>>would like to simplify system by taking speaker output from amp into sound
>>card lin in
>>
>>concerened about burning the card
>

> You are correct that putting speaker-level into your Soundblaster
> card is not a safe thing to do. You can use attenuator pads to pad
> the speaker-level down to line level.
>
> Note that even using pads to make the signal safe is NOT
> recommended because the speaker output is significantly
> more noisy than any line-level output (such as the Tape Out).
>

>>any suggestion appreciated--( waiting to get newer amplifier)
>

> Even a new amplifier might not do what you want. The
> "Tape Out" never connects to the "Tape In" for obvious
> reasons. That is why you will never hear the tape source
> in the "Tape Out" signal.
>
> Suggest one of these...
> 1) Plug the tape deck into some OTHER line-level input
> 2) Use an external switch box

i really apprciate you help on this--i too came to the conclusion about
a switch set up

thanks
peter
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 11:35:26 PM

i really appreciate you help on this--my card has an internal input--not
in favor of doing it this way

my plans are to just unplug the tape output from the tape and plug it
into the line that goes from the amp ( tape output) to pc--just get some
adabpters

really appreciate the info re amp to pc card

take care

peter
!