Computer randomly freeze?

mlawrence

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Why does my newly built computer randomly freeze?

Windows 7 service pack 1 (X64)
I7-3930k CPU @ 3.20GHz (liquid cooled)
ASUS Sabertooth X79 (MOBO)
Corsair force III SSD 120GB SSD (X2) (stripped)
32 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (X2) SLi

If the computer freezes and does not recover then the problem is almost certainly caused by problem memory and you should try running memtest86 for at least three passes to check. If the computer recovers from the freezes then the fault could be either a hard disk/SSD problem or a software problem. You did install the operating system in AHCI mode?

subtlefly

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2012
My i7 3630K workstation 32GB ram quadro 4000 is also doing this, sea sonic +80 platinum power supply. The guys at the shop reckon it is fine and performed well for their tests but ever since I got it home it has been freezing any time I put it under any sort of load.
e.g freezes in 3ds max when asked to render, freezes in photoshop when asked to scale an image, each time requires hard restart to regain. first time it froze was straight when I first set it up and asked windows 7 to rate this computer. Guys at shop said it was a gimmick and not to worry about it. Has been a total disaster and I have been able to do no work since getting the machine home. sadness
cheers
sub