Roadrunner networking

Why does roadrunner charge extra for home networking?
Can't I just buy a wireless router and wireless network
card to network my desktop and laptop or am I missing
something??? Why would anyone pay roadrunner for
networking? I don't understand. I can't seem to get a
straight answer out of anyone on this issue.
8 answers Last reply
More about roadrunner networking

    If you were to go to any Internet Service Provider and ask to hook up
    multiple computers, they would charge you. Unless they're nice, and then
    they might suggest you get a router instead of paying for several individual
    IP addresses. 8-)

    They're in business to make money, but at the same time they only need to
    supply you a single IP (even if it rotates) and you're sharing the bandwidth
    on your computers. If they supply you (at your cost) multiple IP addresses,
    they need to maintain those and can't get full fare from several home/small
    business locations on each address.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP

    "Lothar of the Hill People" <tinkerb45@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Why does roadrunner charge extra for home networking?
    > Can't I just buy a wireless router and wireless network
    > card to network my desktop and laptop or am I missing
    > something??? Why would anyone pay roadrunner for
    > networking? I don't understand. I can't seem to get a
    > straight answer out of anyone on this issue.

    I don't have Roadrunner, but in theory you are correct.
    A wireless router is only going to "SHOW" one IP address
    to the world.

    They are charging to hook up to 3 different computers to a hub and then the
    cable modem. Basicly, you paying them for the 2 other IP addresses. So,
    yes, get a router and do it yourself for free like the rest of us... :)

    --
    Eric Chew, MVP
    Microsoft Hardware Products

    Need help with your Microsoft Hardware product? Check out the Microsoft
    Online Support Knowledge Base at
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.asp.
    The Microsoft MVP Program does not constitute employment or contractual
    obligation with Microsoft Corporation. We do this for fun! :)

    "Lothar of the Hill People" <tinkerb45@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Why does roadrunner charge extra for home networking?
    > Can't I just buy a wireless router and wireless network
    > card to network my desktop and laptop or am I missing
    > something??? Why would anyone pay roadrunner for
    > networking? I don't understand. I can't seem to get a
    > straight answer out of anyone on this issue.

    So what's the advantage of having multiple IP addresses?
    Will my wife and I both be able to access the internet on
    different PC's at the same time with just the router?

    Thanks!

    If you're running separate IP numbers, then each computer supposedly has the
    full service bandwidth. You'll really not notice any slowness sharing a
    connection with DSL or cable, unless you're running numerous systems at the
    same time.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP

    > So what's the advantage of having multiple IP addresses?
    > Will my wife and I both be able to access the internet on
    > different PC's at the same time with just the router?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Actually, with most implementations, it is still aggregate bandwidth between
    all your clients (this assumes you are sharing over one broadband modem).
    If your ISP's broadband offering is 300 kB/s down and 50 kB/s up, buying
    extra ips will mean x number of ips sharing that bandwidth.

    The advantage of getting multiple ips for your computers is basically so
    your computer is directly accessible from the internet.
    You may need this if you have NAT unfriendly applications, need multiple ftp
    servers running on port 21 etc etc.

    Most people who need this will know they need it. If you don't know why you
    need multiple ips, you most likely won't need it.

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > If you're running separate IP numbers, then each computer supposedly has
    the
    > full service bandwidth. You'll really not notice any slowness sharing a
    > connection with DSL or cable, unless you're running numerous systems at
    the
    > same time.
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    > http://nicecreations.us/
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Lothar of the Hill People" <tinkerb45@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > So what's the advantage of having multiple IP addresses?
    > > Will my wife and I both be able to access the internet on
    > > different PC's at the same time with just the router?
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    Unless you have Comcast - in which case they reps will; TELL you to use a
    router... ;)

    --

    > If you were to go to any Internet Service Provider and ask to hook up
    > multiple computers, they would charge you. Unless they're nice, and then
    > they might suggest you get a router instead of paying for several
    > individual IP addresses. 8-)
    >
    > They're in business to make money, but at the same time they only need to
    > supply you a single IP (even if it rotates) and you're sharing the
    > bandwidth on your computers. If they supply you (at your cost) multiple
    > IP addresses, they need to maintain those and can't get full fare from
    > several home/small business locations on each address.
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Lothar of the Hill People" <tinkerb45@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Why does roadrunner charge extra for home networking?
    >> Can't I just buy a wireless router and wireless network
    >> card to network my desktop and laptop or am I missing
    >> something??? Why would anyone pay roadrunner for
    >> networking? I don't understand. I can't seem to get a
    >> straight answer out of anyone on this issue.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    all trues, except the terms of service for most of these ISP's
    prohibit running these kinds of servers.

    On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:41:46 -0400, "Jason Tsang"
    <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote:

    >The advantage of getting multiple ips for your computers is basically so
    >your computer is directly accessible from the internet.
    >You may need this if you have NAT unfriendly applications, need multiple ftp
    >servers running on port 21 etc etc.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

Routers Wireless Router Hardware Wireless Network Networking Microsoft