Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Black, back-lit screen after Windows 8 logo loads

Last response: in Windows 8
February 9, 2013 4:17:25 AM

Today I decided to try out Windows 8, and found the free trial of Windows 8 Enterprise at MSDN. I used the upgrade assistant downloaded to install windows 8, and had to choose the option that deleted my previous files, since the original upgrade option was apparently not compatible with my windows. The installation started, and after the second-reboot my computer got stuck on a "getting ready" screen. It then restarted again, but this time would go into a loop where a screen would pop up saying my computer "restarted unexpectedly or has encountered an unexpected error." After clicking "OK" and the computer restarting, the Windows 8 logo with the spinning circle below appears for a few seconds, then my screen turns black (completely black), and then goes to being back-lit, but still being black. I can't put the CD in to try to re-install windows, since this was a digital download. I also read on other topics that putting the computer to sleep and then waking it up again will fix this, but I can't put the computer to sleep when I have no interface to work with. I thought this might be a result of my graphics card, so I reverted to the onboard car through the BIOS with no luck. I've tried booting in safe mode with no luck, and can only seem to get into the BIOS. Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Computer: HP Pavilion P6000 series
New Graphics Card: Radeon Core HD 6670
Old: ATI Radeon HD 4200
I can try to provide additional information if needed, going to find the box the computer right now.
a b * Windows 8
February 9, 2013 4:51:47 AM

some 3 party pc cant install windows 8 intell you do a bios update on some of the systems. i would google your model number of your pc see if there any bios updates or steps to load windows 8 on it. if you need to put windows 7 back on there should be a restore partion on the hard drive that you hit a function key at power up to start.
Score
February 9, 2013 4:26:01 PM

smorizio said:
some 3 party pc cant install windows 8 intell you do a bios update on some of the systems. i would google your model number of your pc see if there any bios updates or steps to load windows 8 on it. if you need to put windows 7 back on there should be a restore partion on the hard drive that you hit a function key at power up to start.

Thanks for the quick response! My Hp computer has the F11 key set as it's system recovery button, but after repeatedly hitting this key (and multiple others) during startup, and holding down CTRL and hitting F11, the Windows 8 still loads, then goes to black screen.

Edit: Half the time pressing F11 now works, but comes up with a Recovery screen saying:

Recovery
Your PC couldn't turn off properly
The operating system on your PC failed to turn off properly and needs to be repaired.
Error Code: 0xc0000001
You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer.

Press Enter to try again
press F8 for Startup Settings
Score
Related resources
February 9, 2013 7:39:24 PM

Okay so I decided that I will just buy the full windows 8 Pro. I have the promo key so it will only be $15. The problem is, I will have to download this on my laptop since the desktop (computer I want to install it on) isn't working. IF I install this on my laptop, put the installation on a USB drive, and plug it into my dekstop, will the installation work? or will I still get a black screen?
Score

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
February 16, 2013 1:59:38 AM

it should boot from a bootable usb stick if you use the microsft iso to usb software and it not a windows 8 bios issue.
February 26, 2013 1:31:11 AM

smorizio said:
it should boot from a bootable usb stick if you use the microsft iso to usb software and it not a windows 8 bios issue.

Thank you very much for your help! I successfully installed Windows 8 using this method, and am loving the upgrade :) 
Score
February 26, 2013 1:31:58 AM

Best answer selected by airacai.
Score
!