M-Audio Delta 2496 & Cool Edit question

Tags:
Last response: in Home Audio
December 16, 2004 9:32:00 PM

Background: bought and installed the 2496 a few years ago,
made basic use of it, only now getting around to really trying
to understand how it works and all the things it can do.
Recently downloaded and installed the latest drivers and
user's manual.

Questions:
1) my understanding of the sample rate setting option in
the 2496's configuration tab, is that when software is
accessing the 2496, the sample rate is set by the software
(assuming 'Rate Locked' isn't checked). Yet when I set
CE 2 to record from th 2496 analog L/R inputs at 48k
sample rate, the 2496 option appears to remain at 44k (the
default) during recording.
Am I misunderstanding? (FWIW, the recorded file
does indeed seem to be at the higher sample rate).
FWIW I have tested this with the "Idle Rate' box checked
and unchecked, which shouldn't make a difference anyway
during recording.

2) device preference menus for CE 2 (and other software)
dcisplay, for input options ('Wav In' in CE),
M-Delta AP 1/2 (the analog L/R inputs),
M-Delat AP Sp/PDIF (the coax digital input), M-Delta
AP Monitor Mixer (output from the mixer used as input to
CE) and something called M-Delta AP Multichannel.
This last one is not mentioned in the User's Manual for
the 2496 -- can anyone explain it to me?

3) If I am outputting audio via the 2496 card
using, say, foobar2K or WinAmp as the playback
software, what settings if any would allow that output
to be simultaneously recorded on CE? Would I have
to run output cables
back into input of the card, or can it all be captured
internally?

thanks in advance.
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 9:32:01 PM

Steven Sullivan <ssully@panix.com> wrote:

>1) my understanding of the sample rate setting option in
>the 2496's configuration tab, is that when software is
>accessing the 2496, the sample rate is set by the software
>(assuming 'Rate Locked' isn't checked). Yet when I set
>CE 2 to record from th 2496 analog L/R inputs at 48k
>sample rate, the 2496 option appears to remain at 44k (the
>default) during recording.

Have you selected the "Internal Xtal" box?

moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 8:34:16 PM

Len Moskowitz <moskowit@panix.com> wrote:

> Steven Sullivan <ssully@panix.com> wrote:

> >1) my understanding of the sample rate setting option in
> >the 2496's configuration tab, is that when software is
> >accessing the 2496, the sample rate is set by the software
> >(assuming 'Rate Locked' isn't checked). Yet when I set
> >CE 2 to record from th 2496 analog L/R inputs at 48k
> >sample rate, the 2496 option appears to remain at 44k (the
> >default) during recording.

> Have you selected the "Internal Xtal" box?

Yes.

However, upon installing Audition 1.0 rather than CE, I now find the
2496's sample rate setting tracks that of Audition, as expected.
So hopefully it's a non-problem from now on.
!