Best hdd setup for video editing?

G

Before I start, let me tell you that I'm a newbie with RAID. I am going to be ordering a new system soon: XP 2100+ or Thoroughbred, and I was wondering what hard drive set up I should do for the best video editing performace. I want to be able to capture at 30 fps flawlessly and be able to edit quickly.

SCSI or IDE Raid?

Would it be better off to go with one SCSI 10,000 rpm hard drive or two RAID 0 drives (what RPM)? Is there a big difference? Any help would be appreciated.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by artemis215 on 04/15/02 09:01 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I can edit at the fps flawlessly on a External 5400RPM <i>FireWire</i> hard drive.

If you have the money I would do the <i>Western Digital</i> drives to see how they stack up. They do awesome on their own. Put in a RAID array they should be <b>sweet</b>.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
I wouldn't waste my money on SCSI for the moment - go with the WDs.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

aspire

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
just buy a hdd controller card or then install the harddisk into it.
your system hdd C: (in the motherboard controller; your OS runs here)
D:\ (connected to either one port on the hdd controller; this is where you configure your swapfile to run)
E:\ (connected to the other port on the hdd controller card; this is where you save your video file)

This means you need 3 hdd. Seems like expensive but the whole system with approprite 7200rpm IDE hdd is much cheaper than a 10K SCSI hdd plus SCSI controller. Be sure to get the latest 7200rpm hdd, those can really take you to 30fps. I recommend Maxtor D740.