Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 OEM

Last response: in Windows 7
March 31, 2012 2:23:40 AM

If I have oem installed on my pc could I upgrade to a retail version of home and erase all the hardware upgrade limitations?

More about : windows oem

March 31, 2012 2:33:39 AM

What edition of Windows 7 are you currently running? You could upgrade to Home Premium retail (from Home Basic or Home Premium OEM), but what hardware upgrade limitations are you running into that force you to do this?
m
l
March 31, 2012 2:34:26 AM

Isostorm said:
If I have oem installed on my pc could I upgrade to a retail version of home and erase all the hardware upgrade limitations?

If you are referring to overclocking, then no. Your OS has no effect on your ability to overclock or not. That is controlled by your BIOS.
m
l
Related resources
March 31, 2012 2:46:01 AM

I have home premium. The problem is that I have a amd fx 4100 but I had to get a sempron to flash and upgrade the bios on the mobo I bought. I then used an OEM copy to load windows without knowing that you can't upgrade the cpu, gpu, or mobo. I figured that I could buy a full retail version and it would allow me to upgrade.
m
l
March 31, 2012 2:49:36 AM

Pretty sure you can upgrade CPU and GPU even with OEM versions of windows. The only thing that I thought might be an issue would possibly be the mobo.
m
l
March 31, 2012 2:54:52 AM

PiraticaL said:
Pretty sure you can upgrade CPU and GPU even with OEM versions of windows. The only thing that I thought might be an issue would possibly be the mobo.

Is there some way you have to do it because even when I unlock the sempron to a dual core it gives me blue screen saying windows does not support multiprocessors. Its the same thing when I put in a gpu. The mobo is fine I just need to be able to upgrade the cpu a gpu
m
l
March 31, 2012 2:56:36 AM

Isostorm said:
I have home premium. The problem is that I have a amd fx 4100 but I had to get a sempron to flash and upgrade the bios on the mobo I bought. I then used an OEM copy to load windows without knowing that you can't upgrade the cpu, gpu, or mobo. I figured that I could buy a full retail version and it would allow me to upgrade.

Simple answer is try it. If you can activate Windows on the FX 4100 (OEM doesn't "lock in" until activation), then you're done. If not, call up Microsoft and just tell them what happened, and they'll be happy to activate it for you.
m
l
March 31, 2012 3:02:13 AM

Isostorm said:
Is there some way you have to do it because even when I unlock the sempron to a dual core it gives me blue screen saying windows does not support multiprocessors. Its the same thing when I put in a gpu. The mobo is fine I just need to be able to upgrade the cpu a gpu

Upgrading a single core CPU to a multicore CPU can be a special case since Windows needs to change from Uniprocessor HAL to a Multiprocessor HAL to work properly. A reinstall should clear that up.
m
l
March 31, 2012 3:04:38 AM

aicom said:
Simple answer is try it. If you can activate Windows on the FX 4100 (OEM doesn't "lock in" until activation), then you're done. If not, call up Microsoft and just tell them what happened, and they'll be happy to activate it for you.

But what if it's already activated and "locked in".
m
l
March 31, 2012 3:07:46 AM

aicom said:
Upgrading a single core CPU to a multicore CPU can be a special case since Windows needs to change from Uniprocessor HAL to a Multiprocessor HAL to work properly. A reinstall should clear that up.

Really, so I also could drop in a gpu on reinstall and it accept that too?
m
l
March 31, 2012 3:09:04 AM

After you reinstall Windows with your FX 4100 in, try activating it. If that works, you're fine. If not, call MS (use the activate by phone option) and they will give you the code to activate it. Just tell them you just put in the other CPU to flash the BIOS and you didn't mean to activate it using that old one.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 31, 2012 3:09:32 AM

You can reactivate Windows on the same motherboard with the same OEM key. I've done it hundreds of times, both online and on the phone. I wouldn't have a job if I couldn't. You can switch CPU and RAM out all you want with an OEM key, reinstall it as many times as you want on the same motherboard, you just cannot change the motherboard. Ever.
m
l
March 31, 2012 3:14:56 AM

The mobo needed an updated BIOS to support the 4100 so would the board still be able to accept it if I reinstalled windows
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 31, 2012 3:16:08 AM

Again, you can reinstall it as many times as you'd like, updated BIOS or not. It's bound to the serial number of the motherboard, not the version of the firmware.
m
l
March 31, 2012 3:17:48 AM

Isostorm said:
The mobo needed an updated BIOS to support the 4100 so would the board still be able to accept it if I reinstalled windows

Yes, the BIOS is not affected by OS installations. I only say to reinstall your OS because you're getting a BSOD on boot when you run the FX 4100. Did I understand correctly?
m
l
March 31, 2012 3:20:23 AM

Oh ok thanks I understand now I'll get on that though now I just need some thermal compound -.-
m
l
March 31, 2012 3:23:43 AM

aicom said:
Yes, the BIOS is not affected by OS installations. I only say to reinstall your OS because you're getting a BSOD on boot when you run the FX 4100. Did I understand correctly?

No I get BSOD when I try and run the sempron in dual core mode instead of single core mode I haven't tried the 4100 yet since I first put it in and realized I needed the updated BIOS
m
l
March 31, 2012 3:26:04 AM

Isostorm said:
No I get BSOD when I try and run the sempron in dual core mode instead of single core mode I haven't tried the 4100 yet since I first put it in and realized I needed the updated BIOS

OK, I'd give the FX 4100 a shot on your current Windows installation. Chances are you'll run into the same BSOD as with the dual core unlocked Sempron. If that happens, then try reinstalling.
m
l
March 31, 2012 3:29:15 AM

aicom said:
OK, I'd give the FX 4100 a shot on your current Windows installation. Chances are you'll run into the same BSOD as with the dual core unlocked Sempron. If that happens, then try reinstalling.

OK thanks alot, but do you think reinstalling would be a definable solution to the problem?
m
l
March 31, 2012 3:31:34 AM

Isostorm said:
OK thanks alot, but do you think reinstalling would be a definable solution to the problem?

Yes.
m
l
March 31, 2012 3:36:25 AM

aicom said:
Yes.

Alright cool I appreciate the help! I might have ended up spending a lot of money for something I wouldn't have had to.
m
l
!