problems connecting to linksys wrt54g router

Last response: in Networking
April 17, 2004 11:45:47 PM

I am unable to configure my linksys router to work with
my windows xp laptop and westell dsl modem. I can
connect to the internet via ethernet port just fine
through the modem, but when i hook up the router to the
same port0.0.0.0. for the ip address, even after an
ipconfig/release and resetting the router. When I try
ipconfig/renew, I get an error message saying that the ip
configuration failed, file not found. After numerous
calls to the cisco kids, they said it is an operating
system problem. i am on my third router, so they might
be right.

What should I try next?
Thanks in advance.
Dave
Anonymous
April 18, 2004 4:26:46 PM

Since you are using DSL, are you sure that you are assigned an ip via DHCP?
or are you suppose to be using PPPoE?

If you are suppose to be using DHCP, you may need to clone your MAC address
of the last device that did work (presumably the MAC of the NIC from the
last computer that did work).

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -