problem with sound playback under windows xp pro

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
December 18, 2004 2:03:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc (More info?)

Hello.

Somehow I'm baffled by a mysterious problem with sound playback under
windows xp pro.
I suspect it's related to the driver and it's probably a
software-related issue, but I'm puzzled how
to resolve it. The problem is that when I play mono sound files, I
barely hear anything. As soon
as I shift the balance (either left or right) however, sound comes
back. Stereo files do play at the
regular volume level but fairly distorted.
I have an integrated sound card, Intel(r) 82801AA AC'97 Audio
Controller.
Removing the hardware under windows xp pro (which means windows
automatically installs it
again) doesn't seem to help.
Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this issue, kind regards, Niek
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 3:12:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc (More info?)

It sounds like the card is in surround mode with the centre channel image
missing- being fed to another speaker. hence the 2 speakers sound
'distorted'

AW

"name" <nsprakel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> Somehow I'm baffled by a mysterious problem with sound playback under
> windows xp pro.
> I suspect it's related to the driver and it's probably a
> software-related issue, but I'm puzzled how
> to resolve it. The problem is that when I play mono sound files, I
> barely hear anything. As soon
> as I shift the balance (either left or right) however, sound comes
> back. Stereo files do play at the
> regular volume level but fairly distorted.
> I have an integrated sound card, Intel(r) 82801AA AC'97 Audio
> Controller.
> Removing the hardware under windows xp pro (which means windows
> automatically installs it
> again) doesn't seem to help.
> Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?
>
> Thanks in advance for any feedback on this issue, kind regards, Niek
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 5:04:47 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc (More info?)

Make sure that your card is set up for 2 speaker mode only, and it is not in
the surround mode. At the same time, make sure your output to the speaker
units is connected to the main output jack, and not the surround jack.

If you have surround speakers, then you must make sure that they are
connected to their respected jacks at the sound card, and that the set-up
for the sound card is in the correct mode.

--

Jerry G.
=====

[...]

December 20, 2004 5:35:55 PM

Dimitrios Tzortzakakis wrote:
> I am wondering, where did you get mono audio files?

Audiobooks are often mono.

The problem was resolved btw when I manually selected a different
driver from a list offering two seemingly identical drivers.
Perhaps the faulty one was configured for surround audio or something
resulting in the distorted playback.
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 6:05:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc (More info?)

I am wondering, where did you get mono audio files?

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitri?s
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
> Hello.
>
> Somehow I'm baffled by a mysterious problem with sound playback under
> windows xp pro.
> I suspect it's related to the driver and it's probably a
> software-related issue, but I'm puzzled how
> to resolve it. The problem is that when I play mono sound files, I
> barely hear anything. As soon
> as I shift the balance (either left or right) however, sound comes
> back. Stereo files do play at the
> regular volume level but fairly distorted.
> I have an integrated sound card, Intel(r) 82801AA AC'97 Audio
> Controller.
> Removing the hardware under windows xp pro (which means windows
> automatically installs it
> again) doesn't seem to help.
> Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?
>
> Thanks in advance for any feedback on this issue, kind regards, Niek
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 6:06:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc (More info?)

Yeah, my sound card has such settings too, normal is mic in-line out-line in
respectively, but I can change it via software to be surround, I don't know
if that's the issue however.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitriïs
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr