Extend a wired network with a wireless router.

JelledOff

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
I have a wireless router (TP-Link) which I want to use to extend my wired dorm room cable connection.

The "blue" network cable currently goes straight into my laptop and I have no control over its configuration.

Is it possible to plug the blue cable into the WAN port of my router and then wire the computer back into a LAN port?

BUT that's not really the major problem. Mainly I would like to know how the router must be configured to allow me to use other wireless devices in my room (phone printer etc).

Someone told me that I "just" need to use the "bridge" setting but that turned out to be complicated by warnings and messages about other SSIDs.

Is "bridge" really the right mode? It seems it's for connecting two wireless networks together.

Lastly, I have no money. I'm skint. My only hope is to use what I have.

Is it possible to plug the blue cable into the WAN port of my router and then wire the computer back into a LAN port?

theoretically yes, if there is no network security in place. make sure the IP scheme is different then the on of the current network

regarding your wireless devices all you need to do is enable the wireless on the router and setup wireless security preferred wireless mode is WPA2+AES

JelledOff

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
Thank you Emerald.

What do you mean about the IP scheme?

Do you mean, don't leave the router/access point at 192.168.0.1?

What is a better setting to be sure there is no conflict?