Keyboard and mouse not working in Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

allismint

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Keyboard and mouse not working in Windows 7 (desktop), even in safe mode. The keyboard does work in the BIOS. I have tried to attach a PS2 keyboard, but it doesn't work either. I can't get to the device manager to check drivers.

Solution

That should not be true, if the keyboard works in the BIOS, means the physical USB ports are just fine. Re-installing or maybe even repairing Windows should have fixed this. It may not be fixable with the current OS installation, but there is no reason why a re-installation of Windows would not fix this.
Try it in SafeMode.

I've seen this happen before, it is an issue with the drivers for the keyboard and mouse, the HID (human interface device) drivers are the issue here.

You may be able to do a work-around fix, try to remote into this computer from another one on your network and remove any keyboard/mouse/hid devices form device manager, reboot and have Windows re-install it.

allismint

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Thank you. I had tried in safe mode, with no luck. The owners of the computer took it to be repaired to be told it was unrepairable :( So I didn't get a chance to try anything else.

That should not be true, if the keyboard works in the BIOS, means the physical USB ports are just fine. Re-installing or maybe even repairing Windows should have fixed this. It may not be fixable with the current OS installation, but there is no reason why a re-installation of Windows would not fix this.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.