Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Keyboard and mouse not working in Windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
March 31, 2012 7:45:25 AM

Keyboard and mouse not working in Windows 7 (desktop), even in safe mode. The keyboard does work in the BIOS. I have tried to attach a PS2 keyboard, but it doesn't work either. I can't get to the device manager to check drivers.

a c 352 $ Windows 7
April 6, 2012 3:22:35 PM

Try it in SafeMode.

I've seen this happen before, it is an issue with the drivers for the keyboard and mouse, the HID (human interface device) drivers are the issue here.

You may be able to do a work-around fix, try to remote into this computer from another one on your network and remove any keyboard/mouse/hid devices form device manager, reboot and have Windows re-install it.
m
l
April 20, 2012 8:07:04 AM

Thank you. I had tried in safe mode, with no luck. The owners of the computer took it to be repaired to be told it was unrepairable :(  So I didn't get a chance to try anything else.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 352 $ Windows 7
April 20, 2012 2:36:31 PM

allismint said:
Thank you. I had tried in safe mode, with no luck. The owners of the computer took it to be repaired to be told it was unrepairable :(  So I didn't get a chance to try anything else.

That should not be true, if the keyboard works in the BIOS, means the physical USB ports are just fine. Re-installing or maybe even repairing Windows should have fixed this. It may not be fixable with the current OS installation, but there is no reason why a re-installation of Windows would not fix this.
April 27, 2012 9:58:26 AM

I agree, but the owners left it at the repair shop, so I can't even try :( 
m
l
May 8, 2012 9:19:53 PM

Best answer selected by allismint.
m
l
October 1, 2013 3:22:44 PM

Is it possible to bring this thread back to life. I have the exact same problem.

Device Manager showed me an exclamation mark by a USB Root Hub on my Asus F1A75-V Evo motherboard. I downloaded and installed a USB 3.0 driver from ASMedia and the exclam went away.

I rebooted, only to find my mouse and keyboard frozen. I shut down with the power switch as nothing else worked, and got a message that my BIOS was corrupted. I could not get into BIOS either, until I pulled the CMOS battery and did a reset.

I was then able to get the BIOS via laptop and fix the BIOS, but when I rebooted, mouse and keyboard remained frozen.

Things that seem important:
1. Mouse and keyboard work just fine in the UEFI BIOS.
2. Mouse and keyboard are completely unresponsive in Windows and in Safe Mode.
3. My laptop can find the problem machine on the home network, but accessing shared files is no help, is it?

Is there some way to take control of the wayward desktop remotely? PS. I just learned that the Sound works too, when a virus update was announced.
m
l
October 1, 2013 3:53:16 PM

Ahh, problem solved. I found a Windows install disk and ran System Restore from there as it uses its own mouse and keyboard drivers.
m
l
!