Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Router Confused

Last response: in Networking
April 23, 2012 9:32:37 PM

Hey guys,

So my cheapo belkin router is dying on me I think. I constantly get DNS errors and random shutdowns on all pcs on the network and direct to modem everything is fine, power cycle and that does the trick for about 5 minutes. I have tried the renew/release but to be honest a lot of the terms and tech when dealing with networking goes over my head, so instead of trying to fix the problem I am looking for a new router.

I need some advice on a new router. We have three pc's connected (wired) to the current router, and 2 phones and a tablet on the network. We are both students and of course my router is crapping out during finals week. I play some online games but what I am looking for most in a router is :

1. Reliable-I want something that in a year or so it will still do what I need and not randomly crap out
2. Idiot proof-as I said networking is mystical to me, so I would like something with self healing capabilities and a really easy user interface, and ideally a popular one that if I do run into a problem there is a lot of info on the web for troubleshooting.
3. Able to handle 3 pcs wired (usually only one or two are actively running)
4. Lowish latency as again I do game.

anything else I should be looking for, specifics?
Please please please help me out as soon as possible I want to overnight it so I can study longer than 20 minutes without a power cycle.

O and if anyone is going to offer suggestions about "o it has this feature" please give a brief explanation so I can become semi literate in the subject. Thanks again!

More about : router confused

April 24, 2012 3:00:00 AM

Asus RT-N66U, Linksys E4200/EA2700
m
l
April 24, 2012 11:04:18 AM

I checked those out on newegg and for the price the reviews say its not that reliable. If I am going to spend that much money I want something really reliable.
m
l
Related resources
April 24, 2012 3:42:02 PM

Take a look at the Linksys EA4500. The RT-N66U is quite reliable over a wired connection, and is one of the fastest routers you can buy. The wireless portion is what some people have trouble with.
m
l
April 24, 2012 7:47:22 PM

sk1939 said:
Take a look at the Linksys EA4500. The RT-N66U is quite reliable over a wired connection, and is one of the fastest routers you can buy. The wireless portion is what some people have trouble with.

I looked at both. While the link sys is a bit more than I wanted to spend (150max) I like the asus RT-n66u in theory. But if I am going to spend the money I want all the features to work and seems problem riddled (ie usb printing not working, and other random problems). Do you have any personal experience with these two?
m
l
April 24, 2012 8:07:45 PM

What about the Asus RT -N56U? what is the difference besides the design?
m
l

Best solution

April 24, 2012 8:19:03 PM

No personal experience, there's a review here:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-review...

As far as differences, the N56U is faster, but the N66U has better chips and wireless radio with amplifier (RaLink and Realtek vs Broadcom). The 56U is also the fastest current consumer router you can buy at this moment.

April 24, 2012 8:37:32 PM

OK thanks I think I am going with the n56u to save some cash and because the n66 isn't at any nearby stores. Thanks sk1939!
m
l
April 24, 2012 8:37:40 PM

Best answer selected by irishfan89.
m
l
!