Floppy does not work after new mobo installation

jkadesjo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Hi!

After I built my new system I have had problems with getting my floppy disk drive to work. When I try to access it windows says that the floppy disk is not formatted. Sometimes I get an error message that says that there is an O/I error. I have checked that the flat cable is inserter correct. I have tried all four ways anyway. I have tried making some changes in BIOS. The only thing I have found that could make any difference is the option to enable/disable “boot up floppy seek”. I get the same error message either way. I have had the same problem with the three systems I have built.

/Johan

EPoX 8KHA+
Athlon XP 1800+
ATI Radeon 8500 Retail
IBM 120GXP
SB Live! Player 5.1

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Might it be that your floppy is taking it´s last breaths?

Well, anyway...I have the same mobo as you do and I´ve had this problem also, but it dissapeard a couple of months ago and now all is fine.

So, either buy a new floppy or wait and hope it dissapears :smile:

Sorry, I can´t think of any "good" advice to give you...

<font color=blue>Be yourself, do whatever <font color=red>you</font color=red> like</font color=blue> (Not at my expense though)

A couple of questions for you. Did you use the cable that came with your new MB or the old one, and what are the four different ways to hook it up that you are talking about. The floppy end has the turned over piece of cable, and you can get those symptoms if the red side of the cable is not on #1 pin, on the board and floppy, some of the cables don't have alignment pins and its easy to get them reversed.

jkadesjo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
The cable is inserted correctly. I have checked it.

EPoX 8KHA+
Athlon XP 1800+
ATI Radeon 8500 Retail
IBM 120GXP
SB Live! Player 5.1