HD and CD drive sharing an IDE - any problems??

G

are there any performance issues? obviously ide0 would have the system hd [as master], and [in my case a dvd] as slave.
ide1 would have a burner and my data hd.
the dvd will not function on my board if not on ide0 - unless i decrease cpu fsb from 133 to 100.
not an ideal situation probably, but what would be the better one? fsb speed or ide sharing?

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
I usually don't recommend this config - but knowing you're using a 106S (UDMA-66) it shouldn't be a problem. It used to be that the CD-ROM would slow the whole channel down to its access speeds, but this problem seems to have been compensated for with UDMA/ATA-66/100/133

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ideally if your doing to do alot of data transfer between the drives in question then it may be better to have them on different channels.

however if its a ata33 or 66 drive and you keep the hard drive optimised well there shouldnt be too many problems.

i know i often do on the fly disk copies between my two optical drives on the same channel without any issues
(ata66 pioneer 106 dvd -> ata ricoh 12x burner)

My tech advice here is not free. Email your credit card detials to mynic@hotmail.com :smile: :wink: