CD R & CD RW drives both not showing up in My Comp

TheFlamingCow

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2001
For some reason my CD Rom drive & Plextor CD-RW drives are not showing up in My Computer, even though Device Manager says they're there, installed, and fine. I've reinstalled them and it didn't do anything, they're detected in the BIOS, I've tried unplugging each one and the other still doesn't show... What could this be?

I have an Epox 8KHA+ Mobo, Duron 900, Maxtor 40GB IDE Drive, A Leoptics 32x IDE CD-Rom & an IDE Plextor 16/10/40 CD-RW...

They USED to work fine, then the CD-RW was acting up (wouldn't burn), then the computer stopped booting for a while, but after I unplugged it and brought it somewhere to be looked at, it seemed to have been fixed, but then the CD drives just stopped being able to be seen. AutoRun doesn't work either.

Thanks for the help,
The Flaming Cow

Moo.

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
Do you have mapped drives that might be conflicting? What OS are you running? If it is Win2K/XP, check in the Disk Management section of Computer Management - You'll find it in Administrative tools. See if the drives show up and/or need to be assigned drive letters. It may just be that your CDFS drivers are corrupted/not installed.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

TheFlamingCow

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2001
Yes, I forgot to mention it, I'm running Windows XP Pro.

I've taken a look in Disk Management, and the drives just don't show up in there.

If I take a look at the "Via IDE Busmaster Utility" it says the drives are there, just like in the Device manager. It makes no sense to me!! Argh!

There's one thing I don't understand - there's something in the Control Panel called "Nero ImageDrive", and there are no properties to it (you can't open it), and I don't see a way to remove it (it's not a Service either). Could this be related? I've tried uninstalling Nero Burningrom but that didn't help.

Please help!

Thanks,
The Flaming Cow

Moo.

TRENDING THREADS