Difficult for router to connect through cable modem

ctriegel

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Hello,
I just moved from my slow (but very reliable) DSL (1.5 Mbps) to Charter cable internet (15 Mbps). I am using a Netgear cable modem and an ASUS RT-N56U router. The router worked perfectly with the DSL, but I struggle to get connected via the cable modem. My WIN XP laptop will connect directly through the modem, but my WIN7 PCs won't . The router will eventually connect if I reboot the various pieces of equipment enough times. I also have a Netgear router that has teh same struggle.
Any ideas what router settings I might need to look at, like MAC Clone for example? My connection tends to drop every couple days, but then it's a crap shoot whether I will be able to get reconnected. . .
Thanks

ctriegel

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Thanks for your suggestion. I have it setup for: WAN Connection Type: Automatic IP. (other options are Static IP, PPoE, PPTP, & L2TP). I believe this is the equivalent of DHCP. . .

ctriegel

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

I have finally realized that I don't think there's an issue between the router & the cable modem. The issue is that every once in a while the cable modem loses its connection and has to be reset. As long as I power the cable modem first, then the router a couple minutes later, things come back online OK.

The real issue is that the connection drops for some reason. I have read various reason outside my home for the dropped connections.

I am enjoying the 10x speeds of cable over DSL, but I probably only had to reboot my router (no modem for my DSL) less than 5 times in 6 years with the DSL. I have to do that at least 3 times per week now. . . .

tha_vice

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Clone the Routers mac address. I've had this issue before with mediacom, which is about the same type of provider 15MBPS solid when it works.... *heh* *cough*

The issue is that the Cable modem dosen't like the fact that there's another classfull network behind it, so to make long boring technical story short. The cable modem and router don't agree on who should handle the Lan/wan traffic or route.

Cloning hides this fact and will allow you to stay on and not have to reboot infintiely like i've been having to do.

ctriegel

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

I have tried that. What MAC address am I cloning? My router has a button I can click to clone the MAC address, but what it grabs is the MAC of whatever PC I am using to interface with the router. Whose MAC address to I tell the router to clone? The MAC of the cable modem?

ctriegel

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Did a little research and I now understand I should clone the MAC of the first PC that I connected with when they installed the service, which happens to be my work laptop. I will try that and see if the connection stabilizes.

Thanks

Jayrod64

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
Honestly I had trouble getting the RT-AC87U to connect to my ISP's modem, which is some Comtrend brand I've never heard of. Turns out, all I had to do was wait about 2 to 3 minutes for the router to fully restart and recognize the connection.