Sign in with
Your question

How to use .PNG icons - Windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
February 4, 2010 9:34:02 AM

Guyz,

I just downloaded sum icons but i am unable to use them in Win7 x64, as the format is not supported – Its in .PNG format.

I want to change the icons on my folders & desktop shortcuts – So how to do it.

PS: I am shocked to see tht PNG is not supported in Win7

More about : png icons windows

a b $ Windows 7
February 4, 2010 9:51:44 AM

Windows icons have to be in *.ico format. *.png, *.jpg, *.gif, etc. won't work. Windows 7 is quite happy with *.png files where they are appropriate - e.g. in IE.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 4, 2010 1:10:41 PM

Irfanview can convert many file formats including .ico

http://www.irfanview.com/

Open it save as then select .ico. You may need to enable transparency for it to look right.

EDIT, do not let irfanview take all image formats(as a default app or file association) unless you want it to. And there may be some kind of toolbar option you will want to uncheck.

iconedit32 is also a good one with options for multi sized(16x16 + 32x32 + 48x48 ect) icons in one file
m
l
Related resources
February 5, 2010 8:29:32 AM

Thx nukemaster !

I would like to know guyz, if all .PNG needs to be converted than what OS use .PNG then ?

Also, do tellme what you all guyz recommend the best software to convert....
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 5, 2010 3:09:31 PM

Mac OSX uses PNG
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 5, 2010 9:57:29 PM

craige4u said:
Also, do tellme what you all guyz recommend the best software to convert....

If all the files are already the right size and have a transparent color, Irfanview should be able to batch covert them. Worst case, you have to select the transparent color for each one as it does the work.
m
l
May 13, 2014 10:41:03 PM

You can this site which will do it for you automatically and you only have to download the new icon file and it does this in seconds
http://www.convertico.com/
m
l
!