T616 on ATT - how can I make AIM leave me alone?

Last response: in Brands
May 14, 2004 11:05:32 AM

Long ago, before I ever got a T616, and before ATT activated AIM for my SIM
card, I signed up for mobile AIM stuff. It never worked for some reason,
but now that ATT updated what my SIM card can do... well, it works, but I
can't make it STOP. I've sent numerous "off" text messages to 4647 (the
"sign off AIM" address), but I still get messages, and I'm still visible to
my friends as being online (albeit on a mobile). Nothing on AIM's site
helps (it says if I'm inactive for 26 hours, I'll be signed off - but then,
it says if I sign off, I'll be signed off, too, and that's obviously false!)

I've seen some reports of other people having similar problems with other
carriers and other phones, so I'm guessing this is AOL being stupid...

--
Dan Birchall, Hilo HI - http://dan.birchalls.net/ - images, words, technology
Anonymous

"Dan Birchall" <nobody@imaginary-host.birchalls.net> wrote in message
> Long ago, before I ever got a T616, and before ATT activated AIM for my
SIM
> card, I signed up for mobile AIM stuff. It never worked for some reason,
> but now that ATT updated what my SIM card can do... well, it works, but I
> can't make it STOP. I've sent numerous "off" text messages to 4647 (the
> "sign off AIM" address), but I still get messages, and I'm still visible
> my friends as being online (albeit on a mobile). Nothing on AIM's site
> helps (it says if I'm inactive for 26 hours, I'll be signed off - but
then,
> it says if I sign off, I'll be signed off, too, and that's obviously
false!)

> I've seen some reports of other people having similar problems with other
> carriers and other phones, so I'm guessing this is AOL being stupid...

It happens with T-Mobile too. People usually suggest signing on from your
computer to kill it, but some people say this doesn't work for them.

I don't use AIM, but I would try going into the connectivity menu, selecting
wap, and deleting the cache and the cookies.

---
Update your PC at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com