Sign in with
Your question

Downloading stopping others from accessing the internet

Last response: in Networking
April 25, 2012 3:37:37 AM

Hey, I have a question that I haven't been able to get a decent answer to no matter how much googling etc I do. We have a problem in our flat where any time someone downloads something everyone else in the flat loses access to the internet until that person finishes their download or stops it.

We are all accessing the internet through the same router, 3 of us wirelessly and 1 wired. The computers which are for some reason blocked by the other person downloading can't even access the router to do a reset or work out whats happening. Speedtest.net gives our download speed as 14.80Mbps which isn't great but okay for good old NZ.

Why would it be that 1 person downloading is preventing the others from accessing the net, do some downloads somehow take full control of all the available bandwidth ?.

And is there any way to make it so that it doesn't happen, like make it so no computer can use all the bandwidth at a time ?, ie my flatmate can download his whatever but I can still send emails etc at the same time.
April 25, 2012 3:51:33 AM

That's not normal. What model is your router?
m
l
April 26, 2012 10:04:51 AM

Its an Ewire 2701HGV-W
m
l
April 26, 2012 3:51:40 PM

You could try to establish QoS, restrict certain download types (Bittorrent) or time your downloads accordingly. As far as I can tell from the instructions, there is no way to setup traffic shaping per computer.

The instruction manual can be found here: http://tbh2.processportal.co.nz/PDF/2WireGatewayUserGui...
m
l
!