Sign in with
Your question

Using second NIC for internet access

Last response: in Networking
April 25, 2012 8:48:55 AM

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help. I work for a small company they have 2 servers (SBS 2008 & Standard 2008 R2). The internet access is ADSL and when all the nightly backups start @ 6pm the internet access is unusable.

We have decided to get in a separate ADSL line for the servers to backup through, but we're not sure how to configure the second nic's so the servers will use those for internet access and not the main network. I hope what I'm asking makes sense if not ask and I'll try to be more clear.

Thanks in advance,

Allan

PS sorry if I posted in the wrong area

More about : nic internet access

April 25, 2012 4:11:14 PM

Well first off configure the second ADSL line so that it has it's own network (even if your router is dual WAN). Second, under Server 2008, you can set the port and IP routing options under the "Advanced Firewall", deny traffic on the proper ports to the internet.

Alternatively, you can try this first:

Once you go to the Network Connections properties, Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) -> Properties -> Advanced -> IP Address section -> Add
Enter the secondary IP address you wish to have and hit Add.
Then under default gateway secion, hit ADD - Enter the gateway address, set a metrc, and you're done.
This should not affect your normal routing. You can also set a metric on each to "weight" which link all normal traffic would go out first.
April 27, 2012 8:53:57 AM

Hi SK,

Thanks for the quick reply. As soon as we get the new router in I'll give what you said a go.

;-)
May 21, 2012 4:17:38 PM

Hi SK,

The alternative option worked perfectly. Thanks for the help.
Related resources
!