Loud Hum Whenever I Turn On My Sub Woofer

Last response: in Home Audio
December 26, 2004 10:05:34 PM

Hi,

I have been using CyberAudio's 3-piece computer speaker systems for
over a year and have never encountered any problems so far until half
an hour ago when the sub woofer suddenly started humming very loudly.
The noise has not stopped yet and will only stop if I pull out the
power cord. Whenver the power cord is pulled in, the hum is here. Any
help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Best,

Chin-Yunn

More about : loud hum turn woofer

Anonymous
December 27, 2004 7:00:57 AM

chinyunn.yang@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been using CyberAudio's 3-piece computer speaker systems for
> over a year and have never encountered any problems so far until half
> an hour ago when the sub woofer suddenly started humming very loudly.
> The noise has not stopped yet and will only stop if I pull out the
> power cord. Whenver the power cord is pulled in, the hum is here. Any
> help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
>
> Best,
>
> Chin-Yunn

Since the hum started - so to speak - in mid stream, there must have
been some damage that just took place. It could be a break in a ground
connection or something blown in a power supply. From what you have
said, the problem most likely is in the sub woofer power supply although
you have not specifically stated the "power cord" is that of the sub woofer.

If you have any test equipment, check the DC power supply for the
presence of AC. A frequent problem is blown power diodes in a diode
bridge which permits considerable AC to get into the DC lines.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 3:14:16 AM

>Hi,
>
>I have been using CyberAudio's 3-piece computer speaker systems for
>over a year and have never encountered any problems so far until half
>an hour ago when the sub woofer suddenly started humming very loudly.
>The noise has not stopped yet and will only stop if I pull out the
>power cord. Whenver the power cord is pulled in, the hum is here. Any
>help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
>
>Best,
>
>Chin-Yunn

Either you have a bad ground wire on your connecting cable to the sub woofer or
the amplifier in the sub has a bad capacitor.

Richard H. Kuschel
January 7, 2005 1:14:07 AM

In article <1104116734.847286.266950@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
chinyunn.yang@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been using CyberAudio's 3-piece computer speaker systems for
> over a year and have never encountered any problems so far until half
> an hour ago when the sub woofer suddenly started humming very loudly.
> The noise has not stopped yet and will only stop if I pull out the
> power cord. Whenver the power cord is pulled in, the hum is here. Any
> help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
>
> Best,
>
> Chin-Yunn

Disconnect signal to the sub. If its still there then its the sub, if
not then its something else upstream.

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*