Sign in with
Your question

Programs running...

Last response: in Memory
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b C Monitor
April 18, 2002 11:50:17 AM

When I open task-monitor just after start-up, it has a lot of programs running in the background. I know you need explorer and systray, but what about the other ones? I have some files called LoadPowerProfiles, LoadQM, StateMgr.exe, MP_S3.exe and ssdpsrv.exe. Do I really need these files, or are they just taking up memmory? I do not have any programs in the startup folder, and I've not asked any programs to execute on startup, so I'm wondering if I should disable these files, and stick with only explorer and systray.

Thanks!

More about : programs running

April 18, 2002 6:03:45 PM

Desktop or Laptop?

<b>"I put instant coffee in the microwave and almost went back in time" - Steven Wright</b> :lol: 
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b C Monitor
April 18, 2002 9:03:54 PM

I'm running a 1400MHz Duron desktop with Windows ME (4.90.3000).
Related resources
April 18, 2002 11:16:26 PM

Power Profiles are necessary for Start-up passwords (logon or network). If you don't use passwords, lose this.

I can't remember LoadQM, but I know it's not important.

I would leave the others.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>
April 19, 2002 10:26:02 AM

ok. Waht you actually need in there (doing this tru MSconfig would be easier) is
Task bar display controls
Scan regestry
Load power profile
System tray
if you've got an ATI video card anything that starts ATI needs to stay...
After that all of the others are a waste of space.
(also, Given that you've got Win ME... It it actually needs something it'll put it back...)

There are times i really HATE win ME for doing that.

Madness is a state of mind.

Like Idaho.
April 19, 2002 6:49:14 PM

I've an ATI card. Nothing in my systray or MSconfig remaining pertaining to ATI. Works fine.

I've already explained Power Profile stuff.

Taskmon is necessary for running the "make my programs start faster" option on defrag.

Scanreg I leave up to the individual. If your system is stable, lose it. If not, keep it.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>
!