Sign in with
Your question

Mapping NAS drive over internet issues

Last response: in Networking
April 26, 2012 2:50:33 PM

Hello, I'm currently trying to map a Netgear Stora NAS drive over from our office to a home computer obviously not on the same network. I have created a DYNDNS account which has enabled me to create a hostname linked to the external IP address of our Cisco small business pro router that is connected to the NAS drive in our office. When I try to map the NAS drive on Windows 7 it gives me the error "The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occured: The specified server cannot perform the requested operation". I have a feeling it maybe something to do with permissions or forwarded ports but I'm not 100% sure. When I'm trying to map I use this format \\example.dyndns-office.com\NAS drives local IP. Also what are the security risks of using this method and I don't want to create a VPN :p 

Any ideas on whats going on?
April 26, 2012 3:42:01 PM

Yes, NAT prevents direct connections like this. In order to connect to it directly it would have to either be A) A cloud device B)Have a public IP address or C) Connect via VPN.
April 26, 2012 3:49:19 PM

did you do the port forwarding listed in the manual?

not sure if it allows for direct drive mapping via internet.

it is talking about accessing via www.mystora.com.

you might end up using the ftp function
Related resources
April 26, 2012 3:54:53 PM

I have seen other people on the internet use the same method as me, but I could of mis-interpreted what they said. How would it be possible to give a NAS drive a public IP?
April 26, 2012 4:08:21 PM

the NAS will be using your router's WAN IP (assigned by your ISP) but you need to do the port forwarding to have access to the drive over the internet

April 27, 2012 8:36:02 AM

Emerald said:
the NAS will be using your router's WAN IP (assigned by your ISP) but you need to do the port forwarding to have access to the drive over the internet

I know how to forward ports but would I just need to forward just a single TCP/UDP port to my NAS's IP? and how exactly would you enter that when mapping? like this for eaxample?... \\example.dyndns-office.com\10.0.0.50:8888?
April 27, 2012 2:49:28 PM

mapping would be something like this:

example.dyndns-office.com:8888
!