"Protector" Mode for Sony STR-AV970 Reciever

Last response: in Home Audio
December 30, 2004 5:19:13 AM

After a snap, crackle, and pop through my speakers, my Sony STR-AV970
Reciever has gone into "Protector" mode. Is there anything I can reset
inside the unit myself, or is it off to the shop? The manual doesn't go
beyond turning it off then on again.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

ZW
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 8:57:22 AM

There's no "reset". Time for service, or a new receiver.

Mark Z.

"Zomby Woof" <spamhater@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> After a snap, crackle, and pop through my speakers, my Sony STR-AV970
> Reciever has gone into "Protector" mode. Is there anything I can reset
> inside the unit myself, or is it off to the shop? The manual doesn't go
> beyond turning it off then on again.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated...
>
> ZW

Anonymous
December 30, 2004 11:25:15 AM

Your receiver has to be serviced. Most likely the output devices are
defective, as well as their respective drivers. This is not a job for a
hobbyist to perform. There are proper procedures for testing and adjusting
after these devices are replaced.

Most of the time, the output devices burn out in these receivers when the
receiver has been over driven (played too loud for its power rating), or
have wrongly matched speakers, or have too many speakers connected at the
same time.

Another cause of failure, but is very rare, is that the screws holding down
the output transistors to the heatsink loosen up over time, and thus the
transistors become overheated from having poor thermo contact to the
heatsink surface.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Zomby Woof" <spamhater@shaw.ca> wrote in message
After a snap, crackle, and pop through my speakers, my Sony STR-AV970
Reciever has gone into "Protector" mode. Is there anything I can reset
inside the unit myself, or is it off to the shop? The manual doesn't go
beyond turning it off then on again.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

ZW
December 31, 2004 5:17:26 PM

Thanks for your replies, folks...

ZW
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 7:44:13 PM

In article <BAJAd.604412$Pl.251764@pd7tw1no>, spamhater@shaw.ca says...

>After a snap, crackle, and pop through my speakers, my Sony STR-AV970
>Reciever has gone into "Protector" mode. Is there anything I can reset
>inside the unit myself, or is it off to the shop? The manual doesn't go
>beyond turning it off then on again.
>
>Any help is greatly appreciated...

See if you can find what caused your reciever to go into protect mode. Maybe
your speaker wires shorted out? If that is the case, fix the problem and
then try turning it on again. It might reset itself.
Alex
!