Nero burstspeeds

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In nero drivetesting/benchmarking, it lists my CDRW & my CD drive as having a burst of only 2MB... is this okay or a bit low ???
all my drives are on diff cables (I have RAID card in my system)

There are no stupid questions... just lots of inquisitive idiots...

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
And cache determines burst. So at 16x write (16 * 150kBps = 2400kBps) your cache will run out in less than one second if data stops flowing into it (called a buffer under-run). This is why BurnProof or other buffer under-run protection is so important.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
thanx... that explains it then (am I glad my drive is burnproof
** a though... with burnproof, is more cache still better ??? **

There are no stupid questions... just lots of inquisitive idiots...

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
If your system resorts to burnproof a lot, more cache could be helpful. When a system buffer-under-runs and uses burnproof it slows the burn down significantly each time. While you don't end up with a bunch of coasters and can use your system for other things while burning, your burns can take just as long as if you were using a 4x burner instead of a 16x one. Usually if you see this and have a fairly recent system, you can resolve your problem by re-arranging the IDE assignments, enabling DMA (if possible), etc. Even more cache won't save you if the delay is more than a second or two.

If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought, I wouldn't have thought so much.