?? RDRAM vs. DDR ??

I've been doing some reading on memory... I think I understand most of it. But my question is: Is RDRAM better than DDR, but just cost more? Or is it that it IS better, but the price difference doesn't make it worth it? There are so many opinions out there, that I don't the facts from the opinions. If DDR is better and cost less, then why would anyone want to buy it? I've heard that in order to get the max performance out of your P4, you need to have RDRAM. If that's true, then even if DDR is better, then wouldn't RDRAM give better OVERALL performance in conjuction with the P4?
11 answers Last reply
More about rdram
  1. DDR memory has a <i>lower bandwidth</i> than RDRAM! In reality, they perform quite near each other. The reason for this is that RDRAM has a higher latency (initial access time) than DDR. A chipset like the P4X266A will equal the RDRAM based i850 in a lot of benchmarks.
  2. For the p4, on the chipsets currently available, rdram is better.

In general ddr is better, the reason rdram does so well is because it has a dual channel chipset to lay some smackdown.

Which is more future scalable? Its up in the air, I have seen good arguments in favor of both.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
  3. My best recommendataion is wait and see.
    There will soon be SiS648, VIA P4X333, Intel i850E, and other chipsets from ALi and ATi, too. Maybe, even from NVidia. (And maybe AMD will make P4-compatible chipsets, too?)
    DDR400 (PC3200) with SiS648 and VIA P4X333 Vs. RIMM4200 with i850E. Dual channel DDR333 (for P4) later this year.
    Maybe even DDR-II will arrive on the scene earlier than expectation.

Searching for the true, the beautiful, and the eternal
  4. Quote:
    the reason rdram does so well is because it has a dual channel chipset to lay some smackdown.

The P4's good hardware prefetch also helps quite a bit.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
  5. Basically DDR333 can provide about the same performance as PC800. It would take DDR450 to get similar performance to PC1066. DDR at this speed is impossible right now, even by overclock. But normal Smasung PC800 can be overclocked to PC1066. So until someone relleased a dual channel DDR board, RDRAM is better for us overclockers.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
  6. Quote:
    The P4's good hardware prefetch also helps quite a bit.

Fatburger, I think you got confused because Mat was commenting favorably on RDRAM. This is not an Intel vs. AMD question. The discussion is DDR or RDRAM for the P4. The P4 will not do better on RDRAM than on DDR because of its hardware prefetch - it works the same with both technologies (other than latency issues - which DDR wins). So prefetch is pretty moot in this discussion. As Mat and others said, it takes PC2700 single-channel to match dual-channel PC800 for the P4.

If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought, I wouldn't have thought so much.
  7. I agree, he listed one reason how Intel cut down on RDRAM's latency and I listed another. I see your point, but I'm not trying to say why RDRAM wouldn't work well on AMD.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
  8. and i read that RDRAM overclocks much better than DDR, right?
  9. RDRAM overclocks less percentage-wise than DDR (I'm talking about the actual RAM, the platform as a whole will OC about the same), but in the end you'll get better performance.

10. I thought that RDRAM destabilised when overclocked by any significant amount? In the article where the P4 was ovrclocked to 3GHz, the following was stated;

"<i>A motherboard with the Intel 850 chipset and Rambus memory was out of the question because RDRAM reacts very sensitively to increases in clock speed.</i>"
  11. That's because it's about the single worst review I've ever seen.
    My P4 @ 2.5 with RDRAM at 3/4 would probably beat their 3GHz P4 with DDR in most tests.

Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Product