anyone using USB Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit External device?

Last response: in Home Audio
a b D Laptop
December 31, 2004 8:43:41 PM

I am interested in getting clean sound from my new laptop using Grado
headphone.

Anyone using the box?

thanks,

gychang
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 1, 2005 5:58:15 PM

any actual users want to render an opinion?

gychang
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 1, 2005 7:41:53 PM

<gychang00@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I am interested in getting clean sound from my new laptop using Grado
> headphone.
>
> Anyone using the box?

"Clean sound" and "SoundBlaster" (even internal Live!, without the
limitations of a USB device) are not phrases often heard in the same
sentence....

geoff
a b D Laptop
January 2, 2005 8:47:34 AM

"Geoff Wood" <geoff@nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote in message
> "Clean sound" and "SoundBlaster" (even internal Live!, without the
> limitations of a USB device) are not phrases often heard in the same
> sentence....

Especially not from those who have never tried one.
I've never measured the box mentioned so I won't offer an opinion.
I'm betting you haven't either :-)

TonyP.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 4, 2005 7:40:48 PM

Interesting question. These external boxes are pretty cheap, but I'm a
MIDI user, and I don't know if Cakewalk will trigger them or not.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 4, 2005 10:54:36 PM

I will be interested in listening to high quality CD/mp3, and not delve
into midi.

gychang
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 9, 2005 10:46:42 PM

Since they were selling for $49, I ran out and bought the box. I have
uploaded some large soundfont files into it, no problem. No latency,
either. Ten years ago, I would have paid $1000 for sounds like this.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 10, 2005 12:35:24 PM

"Explorer" <Explorer8939@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Since they were selling for $49, I ran out and bought the box. I have
> uploaded some large soundfont files into it, no problem. No latency,
> either.

Let me put it this way - the 16 bit version of this device was really pretty
good as a device for better quality listening.

> Ten years ago, I would have paid $1000 for sounds like this.

Nahh, just a a really good $200 CD player would suffice from a raw sound
quality standpoint. But, it might not be as convenient to use for editing!
;-)

10 years ago one of the top audio interfaces was probably some flavor or
predecessor of the Turtle Beach Pinnacle. It was around $500 as I recall.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 11, 2005 7:27:01 PM

> "Explorer" <Explorer8939@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> Since they were selling for $49, I ran out and bought the box. I have
>> uploaded some large soundfont files into it, no problem. No latency,
>> either.
>
> Let me put it this way - the 16 bit version of this device was really
> pretty good as a device for better quality listening.
>
>> Ten years ago, I would have paid $1000 for sounds like this.
>
> Nahh, just a a really good $200 CD player would suffice from a raw sound
> quality standpoint. But, it might not be as convenient to use for editing!
> ;-)
>
> 10 years ago one of the top audio interfaces was probably some flavor or
> predecessor of the Turtle Beach Pinnacle. It was around $500 as I recall.

AFAIK the first ever PC "pro" sound card was the Turtle Beach Multisound,
then Tahiti/Fiji, and by the time Pinnacle came out there were quite a few
other good quality card appearing.

geoff (who has justchanged his beloved Pinnie for an Audiophile 2496)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 11, 2005 7:27:02 PM

>> "Explorer" <Explorer8939@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Since they were selling for $49, I ran out and bought the box. I
>>> have uploaded some large soundfont files into it, no problem. No
>>> latency, either.
>>
>> Let me put it this way - the 16 bit version of this device was really
>> pretty good as a device for better quality listening.
>>
>>> Ten years ago, I would have paid $1000 for sounds like this.
>>
>> Nahh, just a a really good $200 CD player would suffice from a raw
>> sound quality standpoint. But, it might not be as convenient to use
>> for editing! ;-)
>>
>> 10 years ago one of the top audio interfaces was probably some
>> flavor or predecessor of the Turtle Beach Pinnacle. It was around
>> $500 as I recall.
>
> AFAIK the first ever PC "pro" sound card was the Turtle Beach
> Multisound, then Tahiti/Fiji, and by the time Pinnacle came out there
> were quite a few other good quality card appearing.
>
> geoff (who has justchanged his beloved Pinnie for an Audiophile 2496)

I guess that means you dumped your last computer with an ISA slot. My
recollection is that the AP2496 does not have that much performance
advantage over the Pinnacle/Fiji other than the high sampling.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/6006003.asp is an interesting trip
down memory lane for me. I still have one of each boxed up somewhere in a
storage container.

http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/tbfiji/index.htm

http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/TB_Pinn_2/index.htm
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 12, 2005 9:43:28 PM

"Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote in message \

> I guess that means you dumped your last computer with an ISA slot. My
> recollection is that the AP2496 does not have that much performance
> advantage over the Pinnacle/Fiji other than the high sampling.

No, still got the ISA slot. But Somewhere between the VIA mobo and the
driver weird stuff would happen, like BSODs in msfs.sys ( the Winders
MAILSLOT driver !!!! ) in some apps, and occasional 5 sec auio pb pauses in
another. Yes, fresh installs, etc.

Now the problem is what to hang my DB50XG on. may convert it to a hardware
box. It always works straight off on good midi files - little tweaking
needed usually.

Yes, the Pinnie sounds/ed great, even by current standards.

geoff
!