Caligula

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2002
I have added a Pioneer 106S DVD drive to my system and cannot get it to play DVD's. Well, I am in Region 4 and playing Region 4 DVDs. But When I'm in XP and try to play Region 4 DVD's ( using PowerDVD )a message says DVD drive is set to Region 1 and cannot be changed. In XP I logged on as the Admin but still cannot change the Region settings from 1 to 4. This is a brand new DVD drive and it says I can change regions for 5 times. But still I cannot change the region from 1 to 4. I have checked the firmware for the DVD drive and its the latest available on the pioneer site ( Version 1.22) When i try to play DVds on W98, it is the same - come up with error msg saying cannot play these regional DVDs.
But , when I check my DVD drive and the same DVD in one of my freinds PC ( she is running W98 ) it selects the correct region for the DVD as region 4 and starts playing the DVD.
So, what is wrong with my system ??? and what can I do to play DVD's in my DVD drive. Thanking you all in advance.

My system is P4(1.5G) on ASUS P4B Mobo
Maxtor 20G on IDE0 - Master
Richo 24x burner on IDE1 - master
Pioneer 106S on IDE1 as - slave
GeForce 2 VGA card
256 SDRAM
300W PWR supply.

xazos79

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Not sure exactly why that is happening with your dvd-rom but here are a couple of things that might help.

Firstly, you can get a firmware flash to freeze the region counter on your dvd-rom. Its on the net, you should be able to find it pretty easily.

Secondly, get a program called DVD Genie. This by passes the software regiong counter found in win98 and winXP. It also allows you to choose any region you like with a simple click of your mouse button. Pretty handy.

See if you can track those two down and give em a go.

Caligula

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2002
Secondly, get a program called DVD Genie. This by passes the software regiong counter found in win98 and winXP. It also allows you to choose any region you like with a simple click of your mouse button. Pretty handy.

First, I tried with DVD-Genie, but it wasn't succesfull and came up with the same error. Then I downloaded Region Killer and tried....it worked !!!!!
Thanks again for you help.