john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Hello:

I want to be able to open ports 20 and 21 for FTP usage.
Also SMTP port but not sure of the port number.
I need help in setting this up as I am new to this
networking setups.

Is 20 and 21 both to be upd or tcp?
What address do I use? The gateway or the IP address?
Port forwarding or DMZ setup?
SMTP what is the setup for this?

Any information you can provide will help me out.

John

You only need to forward port 21 (TCP) for your FTP Server.
Port 20 is an outgoing port used by FTP (when in Active mode) and as such
does not need a port forward.

If you want to enable passive mode FTP, you'll have to forward a few more
ports.

While this page is written for Linksys FTP users, the same principles apply
(note that unlike the Linksys routers, you need not turn off DHCP to enable
port forwarding).
http://linksysftp.org

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP