How to transfer emails from old os-x pb g4 to new windows 7 pc?

barb40

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Hello, I've just bought a new Windows 7 pc and want to transfer all my emails from my previous mac os-X powerbook g4 (Mail (3.6), but how do I do that? I don't even know what my email program is on mynew Windows 7 pc and am a bit (no, a lot!) confused because I dont have a clue what to do next... Please help!

Solution
the last ditch would be to sign up for a free email account at hotmail or gmail and forward your email on your mac to them.then on your pc use an email client of chose to open them. there are free back up programs for t-bird.
Hi :)

Windows 7 does NOT contain ANY email program...

Most people use either THUNDERBIRD (proper offline email prog) or LIVEMAIL (online email prog)

Importing from your MAC is a different problem.....I dont know the answer and suspect its not possible, but ask in the MAC section...here or elsewhere...

All the best Brett :)

barb40

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
A big THANK YOU to all of you for taking the trouble to reply to my plea for help!! :hello:

I'm tempted to try smorizio's suggestion, as that sounds straightforward enough for my peabrain ..... !! However, unless I can transfer all emails from my inbox and sentbox in one lump, I'll be at it for weeks if I have to do it one at a time, as I have close to 2,000 emails languishing there (yes, I'm an email hoarder, folks). Still, any port in a storm, eh?

Your help and advice is very much appreciated.

barb40

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Thanks for your suggestion, 13thmonkey:

I've now downloaded Windows Live Mail for emails (after doing a bit of research online, it was a toss-up between WLM and Thunderbird, so fingers crossed I've made the right choice. Wish there was something more like Mac.Mail for Windows 7, as it suited me well, but nothing like it came up when I googled 'recommended email programs for W7').

When I've become more familiar with my new pc, I'll try to follow your suggestion to attach my old mac emails to emails to myself (although I'm not sure what you mean by '...group them by something rational etc...' , or '... use sender and recipient for any key people etc....'. It's probably all 'Janet and John' to you, but to me it's 'War and Peace'. :(

Still, there's no rush at the moment, so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, after I've familiarised myself with the rest of W7.

Once again, many thanks for taking the trouble to answer. :)

I just mean logically group them together so that you attached all of the emails from Bill to one email, and all of the emails from fred to another, perhaps all of the emails from shopping to yet another and so on so that they are easier to find. And then all of your outgoing emails are lumped together in one email too, perhaps split up by personal/shopping?

there's no magic to it, its just a case of sorting them so that they are easily findable later on.