gooner2005

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2004
Hi guys, I ordered a Cat5e Network Cable and was going to wire up and noticed they wasnt the usuall Brown/Orange/Blue and Green but the below picture instead. Why is this, can I still use this for pc to router ?

wp000642.jpg

gooner2005

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2004
I know I need an RJ45 plug on the end, then White/Orange, Orange, White/Green, Blue, White/Blue, Green, White/Brown, Brown.

But as I cant find any references to the cable above I dont know which order to place them in an RJ45

sk1939

Distinguished

It looks like 4 pair telephone cable as the color scheme is off for Ethernet, not to mention the lack of twist.

gooner2005

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2004
Theres no twist what so ever, what you see is what you get. The cables inside the sheath are absurdly loose.
If I grabbed 1 wire I could easily pull it through with no problem!

cablec.png

Yes thats what it says on the side of the cable ....

wp000647.jpg

sk1939

Distinguished

I bet it was absurdly cheap too. I would not use that as an Ethernet cable, that is definitely phone cable given the lack of twist and color scheme. An Ethernet cable looks like this when you pull the sheath back, and is generally tightly woven.

a_C9027.gif

It has to be low quality since I can get a 305m roll of this stuff for ~£25. The answer to your original question OP is no in my professional opinion. I would not use that cable and expect to be incident free as far as transmission loss, transmit errors, packet loss, and throughput.

Edit: Additionally, the biggest tell-tale sign is that the strands of cable are aluminium, which is an absolute no; all proper Cat5E or Cat6 cable has copper strands. If you look along the sheath you should also see "ETL Verified to EIA/TIA-568-B-2-1" or something similar, as well as a ratings frequency (350Mhz for Cat5, 550Mhz (generally) for Cat5E or Cat6.

it looks like you have light blue, light orange, light green, and light brown.

light orange, orange, light green, blue, light blue, green, light brown, brown

make sure the RJ45 connectors you have are for stranded cable

TRENDING THREADS