Sign in with
Your question

What cable ?

Last response: in Networking
April 28, 2012 4:03:20 PM

Hi guys, I ordered a Cat5e Network Cable and was going to wire up and noticed they wasnt the usuall Brown/Orange/Blue and Green but the below picture instead. Why is this, can I still use this for pc to router ?

More about : cable

April 28, 2012 5:48:03 PM

as long it has four twisted pairs and you connect them the same way on both ends, it should still work.

are these wires solid or stranded?
April 28, 2012 6:26:08 PM

All solid :??: 
Related resources
April 28, 2012 6:41:17 PM

stranded wires require special connectors
April 28, 2012 6:53:36 PM

sorry I thought you meant the colours, the cable inside is stranded...
April 28, 2012 7:14:15 PM

I know I need an RJ45 plug on the end, then White/Orange, Orange, White/Green, Blue, White/Blue, Green, White/Brown, Brown.

But as I cant find any references to the cable above I dont know which order to place them in an RJ45
April 28, 2012 8:55:17 PM

you do have 4 twisted pairs, right?

it looks like you have a solid blue, orange, green, and brown wire
April 28, 2012 9:07:02 PM

Emerald said:
you do have 4 twisted pairs, right?

it looks like you have a solid blue, orange, green, and brown wire

It looks like 4 pair telephone cable as the color scheme is off for Ethernet, not to mention the lack of twist.
April 28, 2012 9:11:25 PM

it is printed CAT5e UTP 4Pairs on the outside.

what colors are the light wires? it is hard to tell in the picture.
April 28, 2012 9:54:48 PM

Theres no twist what so ever, what you see is what you get. The cables inside the sheath are absurdly loose.
If I grabbed 1 wire I could easily pull it through with no problem!

Yes thats what it says on the side of the cable ....

April 28, 2012 10:24:20 PM

gooner2005 said:
Theres no twist what so ever, what you see is what you get. The cables inside the sheath are absurdly loose.
If I grabbed 1 wire I could easily pull it through with no problem!

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/115/cablec.png

Yes thats what it says on the side of the cable ....

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/2719/wp000647.jpg

I bet it was absurdly cheap too. I would not use that as an Ethernet cable, that is definitely phone cable given the lack of twist and color scheme. An Ethernet cable looks like this when you pull the sheath back, and is generally tightly woven.

It has to be low quality since I can get a 305m roll of this stuff for ~£25. The answer to your original question OP is no in my professional opinion. I would not use that cable and expect to be incident free as far as transmission loss, transmit errors, packet loss, and throughput.

Edit: Additionally, the biggest tell-tale sign is that the strands of cable are aluminium, which is an absolute no; all proper Cat5E or Cat6 cable has copper strands. If you look along the sheath you should also see "ETL Verified to EIA/TIA-568-B-2-1" or something similar, as well as a ratings frequency (350Mhz for Cat5, 550Mhz (generally) for Cat5E or Cat6.
April 28, 2012 11:22:38 PM

it looks like you have light blue, light orange, light green, and light brown.

light orange, orange, light green, blue, light blue, green, light brown, brown

make sure the RJ45 connectors you have are for stranded cable
!